Using Forms/Reports for 4 or more pages of text documents

P-C-Surgeon

Board Regular
I typically use MS Word/MS Excel for documents. I use access for forms. I was wondering if MS Access can be used for documents, like MS Word, for documents with multiple paragraphs that can be edited in certain fields. Would I use MS Access forms or reports? Would I use MS Access 'Labels' for the non-editable text fields? And if I have to have editable areas in the middle of a paragragh, what would be a good technique to use? Am I better off with Word and Excel for these types of documents? Too many questions to ask regarding this area!!!! Thanks for you help......

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Hi P-C-Surgeon,

Yes you can use Access for long text reports, but it's a pain. You have very limited formatting options. You'll find it more efficient to dump the data into Access and create a merge letter in Word to pick up the fields.

That way, you get much more control over formatting and spacing, and the boilerplate text is mucher easier to maintain.

Denis

Upvote 0
Thanks for your suggestion.

Would it be possible to go into a little more detail please? Do you mean write it first in Access, then somehow? merge it into Word, and then put it back into Access so the form fields can be added? Not sure exactly what you meant? Thanks for your initial response. I will try to create the document as you mentioned.

Upvote 0
Hi P-C-Surgeon, I was thinking along these lines:

1. Build the query that will form the basis of the report. Make sure that all of the fields you need are in the query. Let's call it qryWordReportData for now. You'll need to set it so it filters just on the current record, if I understand your intention.
2. Launch Word and use the Mail Merge Wizard to create a merge letter for the report. Wherever you need data from Access, you insert a merge field. Otherwise you just type a standard Word document. Here's a useful link: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateAMailMerge.htm Once you are happy with the layout, you'll need to save the document -- probably as a template.
3. The third bit is to trigger this file to open when you click the button that launches the report. Here's a link to get you started: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=209976

Also, go to http://www.helenfeddema.com and check in the Access Archon section. She has some useful sample databases with working code, showing several different ways to automate Word from Access (Access Archon 92, Mail Merge Mysteries).

Hope that helps

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Solitario

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back