Using Google maps to autocorrect a spreadsheet of badly formatted addresses

adhbrown

Hi guys,

Is it possible to upload a spreadsheet of badly formatted addresses and use google maps to autocorrect them to their proper addresses and address form?

Thanks in advance,

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying

Norie

Office Version
Platform
Windows
If the addresses you have are badly formed how are you going to find the correct addresses using something like Google Maps?

Is there something in all the addresses, eg postcode, zipcode, that you can rely on as being correct?

baitmaster

ah yes, crap addresses, the scourge of the data collector...

this might theoretically be possible, if you were really good at programming, and knew much about the inner workings of google maps. I personally don't, and suspect this will be a non-starter for you

best bet is to try and enforce decent data collection techniques, or maybe employ someone else on minumum wage to do it for you :(

adhbrown

Thanks for the help. If I could somehow get some address matching program to verify and autocorrect addresses. Google maps does a good job of doing this.

For example:

Bad address - 141 Piedmont Avenue, Savana, GA 30303

Correct address - 141 Piedmont Ave NE, Atlnata, GA 30303

Of course it would have to be in bulk.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

West Man

Google "address standardization software" - software which will convert addresses to US Postal standards

adhbrown

I've seen the software available for address standardization and validation. However, those solutions are very expensive especially if your running 100,000 addresses a month. Does anyone have any other ideas that might work or a less expensive solution?

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sama9000

This Week's Hot Topics