using Greyhound Racing Data

richardthelionheart

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
My plan is to create a data base with about 20000 records of greyhounds - their age, lists of various 'runs' (in races) , the trainer, the breeding etc etc. Setting up this data base should not be a problem as I am familiar with form guides over the last 20 years. My question is -How do they (the form guide distributors) given that they have a list virtually every day of about 500 greys that need to be sorted into 10 races per meeting and all the accompanying form, do that? I would like to know about the process of extracting this specific data every day. It is a mystery to me. My excel expertise would be novice level. I would be very grateful to anyone who can point me in the right direction. I am prepared to work hard. I understand that I will need to extend my knowledge dramatically.

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
i know nothing about racing or formguides

i suspect they have structured database with various bits of code running on database specific software , like SQL etc
As i did when in work and using databases for large corporations

sometimes a small database would be written in MSAccess - but that was often against policy, i setup quite a few in the 90's and had IT incorporate them into the main SQL database - which was for all europe, middleeast and africa.

20,000 records

You would need to setup the data in such a way, that it makes it easy to extract the info you need, I would suggest you do NOT use 1 row per dog - but maybe 1 row per event
that would have a lot of duplication in it
or maybe 2 tables - 1 with the dog info and then 1 with the race info

can you give us a sample of what you want to extract and see ??

Upvote 0
I know nothing about SQL, but I am grateful for your interest, etaf. Obviously from the example uploaded each of the 5 runs for each dog would need to be saved having been tagged with the name of the appropriate dog. So in the future I would have only the names of the dogs running on a particular day. I would then have to search for the records of only those dogs at that time. I would have no idea as to how to match the runners with their past runs.

Attachments

• Capture Form.PNG
    Capture Form.PNG
    69.1 KB · Views: 26
Upvote 0
sorry, I have no idea how you would get that information into a spreadsheet or reproduce it, as i have no idea what any of the values mean , or how they are derived - maybe a full explanation of exactly what information you want to display, how you have stored in your 20,000 records
a member here may have a solution for you, i dont know

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back