Using IF and AVERAGE statement - PLEASE HELP! :)

LaurenHancy

Board Regular
Hello,

So here it goes:

I have a list of customers in column A and a number for how long the call has been open in colum Z. I want to search a particular customer and average how long thier calls have been open. But i dont want to use piviot tables.

E.g.
Column
1.A................Z
2.Sony.......... 5
3.Virgin..........1
4.Sony.......... 146
5.Easyjet........15
6.Sony.......... 38
7.Virgin..........13
8.Sony.......... 17
9.Virgin..........11

So i have tried the following but does not seem to work:
=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A9="Sony",Z2:Z9))

I have also tried it with ctrl+shift+entr and still doesnt work

Hope you can help :)

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Hi

The arrays must have the same size, ex.:

=AVERAGE(IF(A2:A9="Sony",Z2:Z9))

Confirm with CSE

Upvote 0
Thanks for your fast response!

Sorry that was a typo error, i was using the same in each, i am still unable to get a result, i keeps kicking back #VALUE!

Upvote 0
Works for me. I get the error if I don't confirm the formula with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.

Upvote 0
Following on from this answer above which works well for me and is just what I was looking for this morning can I add a little more?

If the Average is to be based on two columns criteria - (i.e. if column be carried colour codes for example), can the AND function be included to further enhance the Averaging?

I've tried this but the answer does appears as 0 even though column B is populated

AVERAGE(IF(AND(A2:A9="Sony",B2:B9="GREEN"),Z2:Z9))

Any further assitance would be appreciated

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm glad it's working.

Try:

=AVERAGE(IF(A2:A9="Sony",IF(B2:B9="GREEN",Z2:Z9)))

Confirmed with CSE

Upvote 0
Hello,

This did work for me, great thanks so much.

Just one other question. If i get a #DIV/0! error there is not a look up avaerage.

Is there anyway i can keep the formular there but hide the DIV???

KR

Lx

Upvote 0
You should only get the error when there are no values that meet the conditions. You can count them and filter the error. For ex.:

=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A9="Sony"),--(B2:B9="GREEN")),AVERAGE(IF(A2:A9="Sony",IF(B2:B9="GREEN",Z2:Z9))),"No values to average")

Confirmed with CSE

Remark: you should always post your excel version. (For ex. you could add it to your signature)

Upvote 0
Thanks for that but i am getting the following:

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 77pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=103 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 77pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3766" width=103><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 54pt" height=72><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white; WIDTH: 77pt; HEIGHT: 54pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl25 height=72 width=103>Av Days Call
Open
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18.75pt" height=25><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white; HEIGHT: 18.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid" class=xl26 height=25 align=right x:fmla="=AVERAGE(A3:A13)" x:num>0</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-outline-level: 1" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl24 height=20>No values to average</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-outline-level: 1" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl24 height=20 align=right x:num>0</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-outline-level: 1" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl24 height=20>No values to average</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-outline-level: 1" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl24 height=20 align=right x:num>0</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-outline-level: 1" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl24 height=20>No values to average</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-outline-level: 1" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl24 height=20>No values to average</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-outline-level: 1" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl24 height=20 align=right x:num>0</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl24 height=20>No values to average</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl24 height=20>No values to average</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl24 height=20>No values to average</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl24 height=20 align=right x:num>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The "No Values to average" is correct but the 0's should be returning a higher number.

Not too sure where to find my signature but i'll have a look. I am using Ex2003.

Thanks

L

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back