Using if formula to find best vendor price

Stevereyn29

https://imgur.com/Dlb67mk

I have a spreadsheet with different companies and how much they charge for gas. I need to make an if formula that will put the company name with the cheapest of each gas type in the "Jet Fuel Vendor" and "AVgas Vendor". The exact wording of what I need to do is

Using nested “IF” functions, create a formula for the cell in Column B, Row 9 that places the name of the “winning” vendor for the “Best Jet Fuel Price.”

Using nested “IF” functions, create a formula for the cell in Column C. Row 12 that places the name of the “winning” vendor for the “Best Avgas Price.”

I figured out how to find the minimum of each row but I don't know how to make it pick the name of the cheapest one. I've been sitting here frusturated for an hour and half. It has to be an IF. Please help

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Hi,

Something like this?

Book1
ABC
2ABC Fuel$5.00$9.00
3Midwest Fuel$7.50$6.45
4Texas Wildcat Fuel$5.25$7.00
5KC Fuel$6.15$8.50
6Royal Canadian Fuel$8.00$6.50
8Best Jet Fuel Price$5.00
9Jet Fuel VendorABC Fuel
11Best Avgas Price$6.45
12Avgas VendorMidwest Fuel
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B9=INDEX($A$2:$A$6,MATCH(MIN(B$2:B$6),B$2:B$6,0))

B9 formula copied to C12.

Upvote 0
Is that considered a nested IF function though?

No, a nested IF is not the way to go for this.

If you MUST use a nested IF, that's a hint it's some kind of homework, then I can't help you.

Upvote 0
Perhaps this example will help, but not the most efficient way.
Excel Workbook
AB
1a5
2b6
3c4
6Min4
7c
Sheet

Upvote 0
It is homework, but I don't see how it's possible to use nested IF to do what we're supposed to do. I've never used excel in my life
What kind of course is this? Is it an Excel class or some kind of business class?

Upvote 0
AhoyNC has given you an example of what a nested IF formula may look like, I also suggest searching our forum for "Nested IF" and/or the WWW for more samples so that you can try and solve your query.

If you put together a formula, but can not get it work correctly, post back with what you have, then someone can help point you in the right direction to correct it.

Good Luck.

Upvote 0
What kind of course is this? Is it an Excel class or some kind of business class?

Random business class. I don't know anything about Excel. Unfortunately these 2 IF formulas are 40% of the grade for this assignment.

What I was trying to write is =if(b2:b6=b8,"name of company in A column). I know that isn't an actual formula but do you see what I'm getting at? I am trying to make it say the name of the company from Column A who's B value matches the calculated min in B8.

Upvote 0
Random business class. I don't know anything about Excel. Unfortunately these 2 IF formulas are 40% of the grade for this assignment.

What I was trying to write is =if(b2:b6=b8,"name of company in A column). I know that isn't an actual formula but do you see what I'm getting at? I am trying to make it say the name of the company from Column A who's B value matches the calculated min in B8.

I strongly suggest you study the formula AhoyNC posted above, figure out his logic based on his sample, and try to adapt it to your question.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back