Using "If then else" in column with validated options

cdfjdk

Can anyone point me to an example of using "if then else" in a column with drop-down options?

I have a drop-down list of countries (Angola, ..., Zambia) and in the same list a further option - Intercountry. I.e. all in a single column.

I would like the validation to permit the user to select multiple countries in the list if Intercountry is selected, but otherwise restrict the user to select only a single country, as in this pseudocode:

Code:
If Intercountry
Then select multiple countries = true
Else select multiple countries = false

Many thanks for any pointers!

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Try this:-
NB:- The first selection in your Validation cell must be "Intercountry" to get Muliselection.
Code:
Private [COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR] Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range)
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] rngDV [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] oldVal [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]String[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] newVal [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]String[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] Target.Count = 1 [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Navy"]On[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Error[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Resume[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Navy"]Set[/COLOR] rngDV = Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeAllValidation)
[COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] rngDV [COLOR="Navy"]Is[/COLOR] Nothing [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Exit[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] Not Intersect(Target, rngDV) [COLOR="Navy"]Is[/COLOR] Nothing [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR]
       Application.EnableEvents = False
            newVal = Target.Value
            Application.Undo
            oldVal = Target.Value
            Target.Value = newVal
                [COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] Not newVal = "" And Left(oldVal, 12) = "Intercountry" [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR]
                    Target.Value = IIf(oldVal = "", newVal, oldVal & ", " & newVal)
                [COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] If
Application.EnableEvents = True
[COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR]
Regards Mick

Upvote 0
Thanks Mick!
Have tried without success to get this working and will try again later today - but any suggestions as to settings maybe I have overlooked?

Upvote 0
The code works in exactly the way I want in your example, only in my workbook it doesn't!
Maybe this is because there are other validated columns in the worksheet that interfere with SpecialCells(xlCellTypeAllValidation)?

Upvote 0
You could perhaps change the line below to relate to a specific cell say "D1", as shown below.
Code:
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("D1")) Is Nothing Then

Upvote 0
:( Afraid not! Changing the range to D1 also knocks out the functionality in the example file. And I've tried with every other range combination I can imagine without success.

I've also tried restricting the range for SpecialCells(xlCellTypeAllValidation) without that helping, so I guess I was off track with my suspicions about that.

Upvote 0
:oops: Uhm, first thank you for your patience, Mick... I had it saved in a module, not under the worksheet.
It's working perfectly now!
CJ

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webster33

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back