Using IF with COUNTIF

Rogojosh

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi there, some wonderful people have helped me here before, so asking politely once again.

So I have a number of people who must take certain actions when they receive an email. Column one is peoples initials, column two are the actions. Eg. I want to search for HW, and count how many occurrences of 'Notification in, await report'. I'm trying: =IF('[Email Report.xlsx]RD '!$G$2:$G$71*("HW"),COUNTIF('[Email Report.xlsx]RD '!$J$2:$J$73,"Notification in, awaiting report")) There's clearly errors there so any help would be very much appreciated thank you.

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Perhaps try with countifs function. Similar to countif, but you can add more criteria or ifs.

Upvote 0
Perhaps try with countifs function. Similar to countif, but you can add more criteria or ifs.
Thanks GraH, I tried that but it counted how many times HW appeared, which I don't need. I just want to ask if it's HW, in the name column, then count how many whatever criteria ie actions. Also, in another tab that has no names, just actions, this works to count how many 'RD' are 'Open' =COUNTIF('[Email Report v1.xlsx]RD '!$I$2:$I$139,"Open") but if try that for another type of criteria, eg =COUNTIF('[Email Report v1.xlsx]RD '!$I$2:$I$139,"Notification In, Await Report") it isn't working. Perplexed. Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back