Using Index/Match or Vlookup to get one result out of multiple results

mkadam

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hi there. My very first post here. I'm an intermediate Excel user and have been working on a project.

I have a problem where I am using Index and Match formula to index one result (Using Match formula to determine both the row number and the column number in the Index formula).

The problem is that my data array has several results in the same column and I want to the output to be one particular result only. There is only one relevant result and the other results are something called 'null' in the same column. So I was hoping to use some formula like <>"null" as a condition but its just to working. I have been researching for a couple of days on this and used both Vlookup and Index/Match.

Is there any suggestions you could give me?

Right, now, by default my formula gives me the first result in the column. Here is my formulas (both Vlookup and Index/Match ones)
=VLOOKUP(B8,'Attendance tracker Jun 20'!C10:CE500,MATCH(D7,'Attendance tracker Jun 20'!J10:CE10,0))
=INDEX('Attendance tracker Jun 20'!$A$10:$CE$500,MATCH($B12,'Attendance tracker Jun 20'!$C$10:$C$500,0),MATCH(D$7,'Attendance tracker Jun 20'!$A$10:$CE$10,0))

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
I'm no expert, but have you had a fiddle with the exact match (0) at the end of each match function? Possibly a bit of trial and error there to get the desired result. I'm feeling your pain though, hearing you've spend a couple of days trying to find a solution!

Upvote 0
Is the relevant result a number or a text (Other than Null)

Upvote 0
You can do it very easily with a bit of VBa like this
VBA Code:
Sub test()
'=VLOOKUP(B8,'Attendance tracker Jun 20'!C10:CE500,MATCH(D7,'Attendance tracker Jun 20'!J10:CE10,0))
datar = Worksheets("Attendance tracker Jun 20").Range("C10:CE500")
rowv = Range("B8:B8")
Colv = Range("D7:D7")
'find column
 colno = 0
 For i = 10 To UBound(datar, 2)
   If Colv = datar(10, i) Then
    colno = i
    Exit For
   End If
 Next i
 If colno > 0 Then
  ' look for the row with no null
   For j = 10 To UBound(datar, 1)
    If rowv = datar(j, 1) And datar(j, colno) <> "" Then
     res = datar(j, colno)
     Exit For
    End If
   Next j
 End If
 MsgBox res

End Sub

You could change this into a UDF
:

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Try this formula

=INDEX(INDEX('Attendance tracker Jun 20'!$A$10:$CE$500,0,MATCH(D$7,'Attendance tracker Jun 20'!$A$10:$CE$10,0)),AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW('Attendance tracker Jun 20'!$C$10:$C$500)-ROW('Attendance tracker Jun 20'!$C$10)+1)/((INDEX('Attendance tracker Jun 20'!$A$10:$CE$500,0,MATCH(D$7,'Attendance tracker Jun 20'!$A$10:$CE$10,0))<>"null")*('Attendance tracker Jun 20'!$C$10:$C$500=$B12)),1))

Upvote 0
Thanks very much guys! All very helpful! I figured it out with your help!!

Upvote 0
I figured it out with your help!!
Glad you got a successful outcome.

Since other readers may also be interested, could you post the result you ended up with?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back