Using Index Match to return value greater than ...

FredrikLi

Hello,

I am trying to solve the following in Excel 2013. Using the below table...

Product
Length
Segment
Alfa
C
Alfa
C (to be reassigned to D)
Beta
C
Beta
D
Charlie
B
Charlie
B

<tbody>
</tbody>

... I would like to reassign certain Products with certain Lengths to their correct Segments. As in:
- Both Alfa Products are listed as belonging to Segment C but if the length is greater than 225 then that Alfa product is to be reassigned to Segment D.
- Same goes for the Beta Products however here the Segments are correct from the start.
- And it also depends on the product. Ie for the Charlie Products they stay in Segment B even though the length may be greater than 225.

I already use Vlookup for the above when it suffices to just check what the product is, but here I suspect that Vlookup falls short. So I was looking at some similar cases and was thinking of using Index Match but I can't think of how. Or maybe there is a better idea?

Thanks for any help :)

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
I think this might do what you ask.

ABC
1ProductLengthAssigned Segment
2Alfa200C
3Alfa250D
4Beta200C
5Beta250D
6Charlie150B
7Charlie250B

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet63

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
C2=IF(A2="Charlie","B",IF(B2>225,"D","C"))

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Thanks!

But I realize I should have specified that the above is just an example and that there are more than 100 Products (or Product types, really) and around 15 segments, and that these will change/have to be updated over time. Also the length may not necessarily be greater/less than 225, it may be greater/less than whatever is decided depending on the Segment.

At the moment I use vlookup to reassign products to their segments. The data is in one sheet and in the Segment field there is a vlookup looking in a table in another sheet: =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A2;Tbl_Segment;2;FALSE));C2;VLOOKUP(A2;Tbl_Segment;2;FALSE)). Ie the Product is in A2 and if the vlookup finds the corresponding Product in the Segment table it will assign the new Segment, if the vlookup doesn't find anything it will keep the Segment (in C2) that was there from the start.

However with the Segment also being dependent on length it makes it more difficult. What I want to achieve is:
- In some cases keep the Segment if the Product belongs to it no matter what
- In other cases separate/break out the Product into a new or another Segment if we decide its Length requires it
- I was thinking of some index match formula looking into a Product/Segment/Length table but I'm falling short of how to do it

I hope I'm being clear, if not I can provide a larger data sample so as to illustrate.

And once again, thanks for any help :)

Upvote 0
Like this:

ProductSegment
AlfaC
BetaC
CharlieB
And so on

<tbody>
</tbody>

The table is named Tbl_Segment as in the formula I posted before.

At the moment 50 different products are reassigned to 4 new segments. In total however there are a lot more products and 10 segments.

Upvote 0
So you need to create a lookup table that accounts for the value differences. Create that first and then we can tell you how to look up the values using a formula.

Upvote 0
Fair enough. Below is my proposed lookup table and after that my product table which I've expanded a bit from before, just to be safe.

Lookup table
ProductSegmentLength
AlfaC=<225
AlfaD>225
BetaC=<225
BetaD>225
CharlieB

<tbody>
</tbody>

Product table
ProductSegmentLength
AlfaC250
AlfaC200
BetaC200
BetaD200
BetaD250
CharlieB200
CharlieC250

<tbody>
</tbody>

Meaning:
- Product Charlie goes into segment B no matter its length
- Product Alfa goes into Segment C if it's no more than 225 in length, and segment D if it's more than 225 in length
- Product Beta same as Alfa

I hope this is clear enough. Once again, there are at the moment a lot more products than Alfa, Beta and Charlie and there are a total of 10 Segments.

Upvote 0
Try this:

Excel 2016 (Windows) 32 bit
ABCDEFG
1Lookup table
2ProductSegmentLength0226
3AlfaC0AlfaCD
4AlfaD226BetaCD
5BetaC0CharlieBB
6BetaD226
7CharlieB0
11Product table
12ProductSegmentLength
13AlfaD250
14AlfaC200
15BetaC200
16BetaC200
17BetaD250
18CharlieB200
19CharlieB250
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B13=INDEX($F$3:$G$5,MATCH(A13,$E$3:$E$5,0),MATCH(C13,$F$2:$G$2,1))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back