Using Indirect(Address) Function Question

brejohns

I have a multiple tab worksheet. I want to be able to:
(1) Search a particular tab based on an input
(2) Within that tab, search for Row heading and a Column heading.

For example, I have several tabs, however I want to search the "Colorado" tab, and want to return the result for "Aurora" [where several cities are listed in the rows of a particular column with the Colorado tab] and "Population" [Where several different statistics are listed within the columns of a specific row]

Thank you for your help

DanteAmor

Office Version
Platform
Windows
Assuming your data on the "Colorado" sheet is like this:

Colorado
<table border="1" cellspacing="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:105.5px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td><td >C</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td > </td><td >Population</td><td >Land Area</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td >Arvada</td><td style="text-align:right; ">120,000</td><td style="text-align:right; ">100</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >3</td><td >Aurora</td><td style="text-align:right; ">300,000</td><td style="text-align:right; ">300</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >4</td><td >Denver</td><td style="text-align:right; ">700,000</td><td style="text-align:right; ">400</td></tr></table>

Try this:

Sheet1
<table border="1" cellspacing="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td><td >C</td><td >D</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td >Estate</td><td >City</td><td >Statistic</td><td >Result</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td >Colorado</td><td >Aurora</td><td >Population</td><td style="text-align:right; ">300,000</td></tr></table><br /><table style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; border-style: groove ;border-color:#00ff00;background-color:#fffcf9; color:#000000; "><tr><td ><b></b></td></tr><tr><td ><table border = "1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt;"><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; font-size:10pt;"><td >Cell</td><td >Formula</td></tr><tr><td >D2</td><td >=INDEX(INDIRECT("'"&A2&"'!A1:F11"),MATCH(B2,INDIRECT("'"&A2&"'!A1:A11"),0),MATCH(C2,INDIRECT("'"&A2&"'!A1:F1"),0))</td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

DanteAmor

Office Version
Platform
Windows
Thank you Dante. I am little confused what the "'!A1:F11" is referencing?
From A1 to F11 the whole area.
From A1 to A11 the cities.
From A1 to F1 statistics.

=INDEX(INDIRECT("'"&A2&"'!A1:F11"),MATCH(B2,INDIRECT("'"&A2&"'!A1:A11"),0),MATCH(C2,INDIRECT("'"&A2&"'!A1:F1"),0))

You can put how your information is and how you want to get the result, maybe that way it I can help a little more.

Last edited:

brejohns

I am getting N/A utilizing this formula.

I have sheet called Colorado

=INDEX(INDIRECT("'"&A2&"'!A1:C3"),MATCH(B2,INDIRECT("'"&A2&"'!A1:A3"),0),MATCH(C2,INDIRECT("'"&A2&"'!A1:C1"),0))

DanteAmor

Office Version
Platform
Windows
I am getting N/A utilizing this formula.

I have sheet called Colorado
The formula is correct, check that the data is correct or does not have blank spaces.

DanteAmor

Office Version
Platform
Windows
I'm glad to help you. Thanks for the feedback.

SaffronAnne

First of all, let me just say that I was floored to see someone used almost the same example as I did.
However, my request is a little different - that user wanted to only search things from the Colorado tab - I want to search things from any tab, so although I have a Colorado tab, I might want to search from the Alabama tab and get information from that state.
One more caveat, I am an intermediate user - as in, I virtually never use formulas unless it is to sum something :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaudMees

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics