Using Indirect inside "Index - Match"

sunilbsrv2k

Board Regular
Hi All,

I have 2 workbooks; one has got data in multiple tabs and each tab has a different name.

The second one has only 2 tabs; second tab has a table in which first 2 columns contain info about the type, tab name.

from 3rd column, it will be month wise data like Jan-19, Feb - 19, Mar-19 etc.

I used Index-Match-Match to get data from first workbook into 2nd one. This works fine

Since, tab names change in first worksheet and I have to get data in 2nd workbook based on the tab name mentioned in column D, I am using Indirect(D2) or D3 etc , but getting #Ref error

This works fine:

=INDEX('[Workbook1.xlsx]P I'!$B$3:$J$21,MATCH($C2,'[
Workbook1
.xlsx]P I'!$B$3:$B$21,0),MATCH(K$1,'[
Workbook1
.xlsx]P I'!$B$3:$J$3,0))

However, when I replace P I with Indirect (D2) in the above formula, it gives error.

Request your help.

Thanks

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
I understood you're only putting the worksheet name in the function. Try using the whole address, not just a part of it in INDIRECT. Feel free to use TEXTJOIN etc. functions to create the whole address text to use inside of INDIRECT.

Upvote 0
I understood you're only putting the worksheet name in the function. Try using the whole address, not just a part of it in INDIRECT. Feel free to use TEXTJOIN etc. functions to create the whole address text to use inside of INDIRECT.

I tried this as well. Unfortunately, this is not working.

I also tried creating new sheet in the source file itself. Astonishingly, when I write formula in a cell is just displaying the formula, instead of the value that was needed.

I mean, in a cell, I wrote : "'" & INDIRECT("D2") & "'" &"!E4"; but I got the result like: 'Pament Int'!E4

Hence, unable to achieve the required results. Please help

Upvote 0
Try this

=INDEX(INDIRECT("'[workbook1.xlsx]"&D4&"'!$B$3:$J$21"),MATCH($C2,INDIRECT("'[workbook1.xlsx]" & D4 & "'!$B$3:$B$21"),0),MATCH(K$1,INDIRECT("'[workbook1.xlsx]" & D4 & "'!$B$3:$J$3"),0))

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dreamz high

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back