Using Negative Percentages in formulas

Kmbalderamos

Hi Everyone, I’m trying to create a formula that uses both negative and positive percentages and doesn’t have any false statements. I would like it to be if cell G10 is >= -30% then G12 should display “partial response”, if G10 is <-30% then G12 should display “stable disease” or if G10 is >+20% then G12 should display “progressive disease”. Please help!

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Welcome to the forum.

Nested IF statements get ugly. What is superior is a lookup table.

I assume nothing can go below -100%. So then the bands are -100% to -30%, from or equal to -30% up to and including 20%, and then over 20% (so I added a tiny portion to it). You can either keep the lookup table in the Workbook somewhere, or just hard-code it into the function VLOOKUP.
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]
Book1
FGHIJ
10-45%
11-100%stable
12tablestable-30%partial
13hard-codedstable20.0000001%progressive
Sheet45
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G12=VLOOKUP(G10,I11:J13,2)
G13=VLOOKUP(G10,{-1,"stable";-0.3,"partial";0.200000001,"progressive"},2)
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would like it to be if cell G10 is >= -30% then G12 should display “partial response”, if G10 is <-30% then G12 should display “stable disease” or if G10 is >+20% then G12 should display “progressive disease”.

Your requirements are ambiguous: any value >20% is also >=-30%.

And just to be sure we're "speaking the same language" (of mathematics), do you agree that -40% is less than -30%?

Ostensibly, the following might work for you (in G12):

=IF(G10<-30%, "stable disease", IF(G10<=20%, "partial response", "progressive disease"))

I cannot image what is "ugly" about that. KISS!

One other comment.... If G10 is a calculated value, beware of surprises due to binary arithmetic anomalies and formatting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I will try this and report back! I tried to get a VLOOKUP to work but I couldn’t quite figure it out.

Welcome to the forum.

Nested IF statements get ugly. What is superior is a lookup table.

I assume nothing can go below -100%. So then the bands are -100% to -30%, from or equal to -30% up to and including 20%, and then over 20% (so I added a tiny portion to it). You can either keep the lookup table in the Workbook somewhere, or just hard-code it into the function VLOOKUP.
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]
Book1
FGHIJ
10-45%
11-100%stable
12tablestable-30%partial
13hard-codedstable20.0000001%progressive
Sheet45
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G12=VLOOKUP(G10,I11:J13,2)
G13=VLOOKUP(G10,{-1,"stable";-0.3,"partial";0.200000001,"progressive"},2)
[/FONT]

Upvote 0
G10 is a calculated value, it’s the percent change from baseline (in mm) of the long axis of target lesions. These are tumor measurements based on either a CT scan or a MRI. -100% to - 30% are actually denoting a complete to partial tumor response. It’s measuring the percent change from a baseline measurement or brain and extracranial target lesions. -29.9999% to +19.99999% indicates stable disease and +20% or greater indicates progressive disease. It’s a bit confusing but it’s the way radiology reports are read. Any further help after this clarification is appreciated!

Upvote 0
-100% to - 30% are actually denoting a complete to partial tumor response. [....] -29.9999% to +19.99999% indicates stable disease and +20% or greater indicates progressive disease.

So I wonder if you should explicitly round the calculation in G10 to 4 (or 5?) percentage decimal places, which is 6 (or 7?) decimal places.

If G10 is =expression, perhaps change it to =ROUND(expression,6), formatted as Percentage with 4 (or 5?) decimal places.

But only if "expression" returns only a numeric value. Otherwise, I suggest that you post the formula in G10, if you need help with rounding.

Note that merely formatting as Percentage with 4 (or 5?) decimal places usually affects only the appearance, not the actual value. (Unless you set "Precision as displayed", which I do not recommend.)

And it seems that your comparison operations are incorrect. -29.9999% to 19.99999% (5dp? typo?) is >-30% (not <-30%) and <20% (not <=20%).

So my formula should be:

=IF(G10<=-30%, "partial response", IF(G10<20%, "stable disease", "progressive disease"))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back