using networkdays with blank cells

sooroo

I am trying to get some help regarding a report I'm trying to create. There are many columns of dates - basically tracking at what stage the different projects are at. Some projects only have a few dates filled in, and some have the majority filled in.

I'm trying to find the cycle times of each phase of the project, but sometimes there are empty cells because the phase/project has not been completed yet. I am trying to find a way to replace an empty cell with today's date so that I can figure out the current cycle time of the entire project, as well as each phase.

I thought that I could do a formula that tested if the cell is empty, and if the cell was empty, I could replace it with today's date. However, I have 2 problems - 1. I don't know how to test if a cell is empty when writing a formula. The only approach I could find was if(X2=" ") for non blank cells. 2. I am a novice to networkdays, so I don't know if this formula is being overtaxed.

One of my meager attempts was to try:
=IF(X2=" ","NA",NETWORKDAYS(X2,IF(Y2=" ",Y2,TODAY()),'Holiday Dates'!$A$1:$A$9))

X2=Date In
Y2=Date Out

Thanks to anyone for their insights :rolleyes:

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Uh Oh

I spoke too soon. Everything is still fine with this solution, but now I need to find out the code for non blank cells.

If X="" means a blank cell, does X="*" mean a nonblank cell?

Upvote 0
For the If then statement I was trying to formulate earlier.

=IF(H2="","NA",IF(I2="",NETWORKDAYS(H2,TODAY(),'Holiday Dates'!$A$1:$A$9)-1,"Done"))

If I wanted to substitute IF(H2="") blank cell for a non blank cell, what would be the correct syntax?

Upvote 0
Thanks

Thanks so much for the info. Everything is working now.

Is there a place in Microsoft help or somewhere else that I can get all those operators so I can reference in the future? I looked all over Microsoft's website and help function and I couldn't find anything.... it's possible that I was phrasing my search incorrectly, though...

Upvote 0
You don't indicate which version of Excel you're using, but at least for XL2003, if you just open help from the menu (don't use the search box) and expand the options, the chain is:<ul>[*]Table of Contents<ul>[*]Working with Data<ul>[*]Formulas<ul>[*]Creating Formulas<ul>[*]About Calculation Operators[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]HTH

Upvote 0
The way I was taught a long time ago to remember that this <> is not equal to, is that technically it means less than or greater than, because you can combine comparison operators (i.e. >= greater than or equal to, <= less than or equal to).

Thinking about this using numbers, if it is greater than or less than a number, it can't be equal to it (not equal to).

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyC96

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back