Using Power Query Connections in Pivot Tables

andywt

I use Power Query to massage data from a number of sources. It works great. There are cases where to create the right analysis that I use pivot tables. When I create the pivot table, I select External sources and select the appropriate Query as input. Everything so far works great. The issue is if I select for example external query "Monthly Activity" Excel creates a copy of the query "Monthly Activity (2)". While this works it creates a problem as now I have two different queries to maintain/modify going forward.

In my case, this is a monthly activity so when the new month comes along I change the "Monthly Activity" query to point to the current month's file but "Monthly Activity (2)" is still pointing to last month's file. So now all the queries have to be updated. This would be a minor pain if there were only 2 queries, but in my case there are 4 primary queries that get used in 16+ different pivot tables to produce all the monthly stats. So it becomes a major update every month.

So the question is why is an external queried duplicated instead of just using the original query?? Am I doing something wrong or is there a setting that I have missed?

In my production Workbook, I am only using Connection Only. And that is where ther issue occurs. I believe it is a bug in office365 Excel (64bit) as it seems to be a new behavior.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spenstar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back