Using Python with Excel?

Graemea

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I would like to learn to code, initially with a view to using it to do things like automating Excel jobs.

I have significant constraints on the time that I have available to dedicate to learning a programming language so I would prefer to chose either VBA or Python rather than learning one and then the other.

A reason to favour Python is that can be used outside of Excel and I can imagine future uses for the language not related to Excel.

Is it possible to use Python with Excel to do all of things that one would usually do with VBA?

For the foreseeable future Excel will be a core application that I use at work so it's important that if I spend the time to learn Python that I'll be able to use the language with Excel to do what I would otherwise do with VBA.

All opinions on this would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Hi Graemea
You haven't explained what exactly you are wanting to do with either language, VBA is much better at doing Excel things and has considerable abilities outside of the Excel app. But you are right that VBA is held inside Excel although many business' run very well with Excel and VBA
Although Python is attractive it is a hard learning curve as the logic is mathmatical based. If you need a language that is built into Windows and you'd like to built all different types of applications my suggestion is to learn C#, it is easy to learn and versatile

Just my thoughts

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back