using Range variable in VBA VLookup

Special K

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I can't seem to get a range variable to work as the table_array argument to the VBA Vlookup function. Here is what I have:

Code:
On Error GoTo MyErrorHandler:

Dim new_data_table As Range
Dim user_ID As Variant
Dim last_row As Long
Dim last_col As Long

last_row = Sheets("new_data").Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
last_col = Sheets("new_data").Range("A1").End(xlToRight).Column

Set new_data_table = Range(Sheets("new_data").Cells(2, 1).Address, Sheets("new_data").Cells(last_row, last_col).Address)

user_ID = Application.VLookup("user1", new_data_table, 2, False)

MyErrorHandler:
If Err.Number = 1004 Then
  MsgBox "User Not Present in the table."
ElseIf Err.Number = 13 Then
  MsgBox "You have entered an invalid value."
End If

Running the above always produces a "You have entered an invalid value" error. Why? If I use a hard-coded range for the VLookup, it works fine:

Code:
user_ID = Application.VLookup("user1", Sheets("new_data").Range("A2:B2"), 2, False)

Why does my range variable not work?

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Try
Code:
Set new_data_table = Range(Sheets("new_data").Cells(2, 1), Sheets("new_data").Cells(last_row, last_col))
using .address means that the new_data_table range will be on the activesheet.

Upvote 0
Try
Code:
Set new_data_table = Range(Sheets("new_data").Cells(2, 1), Sheets("new_data").Cells(last_row, last_col))
using .address means that the new_data_table range will be on the activesheet.

I tried that but it gave the following error:

Method 'Range' of object '_Worksheet' failed

Upvote 0
Not sure why, it worked for me.
What if you try
Code:
Set new_data_table = Sheets("new_data").Range(Sheets("new_data").Cells(2, 1).Address, Sheets("new_data").Cells(last_row, last_col).Address)

Upvote 0
Not sure why, it worked for me.
What if you try
Code:
Set new_data_table = Sheets("new_data").Range(Sheets("new_data").Cells(2, 1).Address, Sheets("new_data").Cells(last_row, last_col).Address)
As you already pointed out Fluff, using the address version will cause a runtime error on this line:

user_ID = Application.VLookup("user1", new_data_table, 2, False)

if the line is executed when the sheet "new_data" is not the active sheet, but there's no need for the .Address when specifying the range. The version from post #2 works fine for me regardless of what sheet is active when the lookup is executed.

Upvote 0
Both versions work for me regardless of which sheet is active.
But when using .Address you need to specify the worksheet for the range, which the OP hadn't done.

Upvote 0
I tried that but it gave the following error:

Method 'Range' of object '_Worksheet' failed

I tried it again as follows (note the addition of "Application." at the front:

Code:
Set new_data_table = Application.Range(Sheets("new_data").Cells(2, 1), Sheets("new_data").Cells(last_row, last_col))

I am not sure why the "Application." is required in this case.

Upvote 0
If your code is in a different worksheet code module, you’d need to use either Application.Range or Sheets(“new_data”).Range

Note though that application.vlookup does not cause a runtime error, it returns an error value which you should test with IsError.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If your code is in a different worksheet code module, you’d need to use either Application.Range or Sheets(“new_data”).Range

Note though that application.vlookup does not cause a runtime error, it returns an error value which you should test with IsError.

You are correct. I was also able to get my code to work by using the following:

Code:
Set new_data_table = Sheets("new_data").Range(Sheets("new_data").Cells(2, 1), Sheets("new_data").Cells(last_row, last_col))

When you say "If your code is in a different worksheet code module" - different from what? Do you mean different from the new_data sheet/module? All of my code (not all shown in my first post) is on a sheet other than "new_data", and is activated from buttons on that sheet. Is that why I can't just use the Range operator when referring to cells on the new_data sheet?

Is there any difference between using Application.Range and Sheets("new_data").Range?

Upvote 0
Yes, a simple Range statement is equivalent to Me.Range in a worksheet code module.

I prefer to use the Sheets version rather than Application so that I can use a With block:

Code:
with ws
 .Range(.Cells(),.Cells())
End with

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrauni

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back