Using regression, but not using line of best fit.

kingofaces

Board Regular
So LINEST can provide you with the line of best fit with slope and y-int as well as r^2, but can you instead find the r^2 while comparing your data to a different line, in my case y=1x + 0 (y-int=0 m=1)? I have an Observed value column with given data, and a Predicted column which originated from one of many models I am using to predict the Observed column.

I have multiple models each giving an output of 10 or so rows in the Predicted column. The ideal model is where Observed=Predicted, so I was hoping that an r^2 while fitting y=x instead of the given line of best fit would show which model's output most closely matches the Predicted column. Example of one part of the Observed and one model's (Predicted) data below:

regression.jpg

I've tried calculating r^2 manually by using SSM/SST, but whenever I try to use x for the model y data (ideal y) my r^2 is over 1. If I use the actual line of best fit and apply it to the ideal y column rather than having it equal x then r^2 matches LINEST perfectly. Is there something I'm doing wrong either in my logic of this even working or simply just an arithmetic error somewhere? I'm wondering if there is an issue with trying to use r^2 to compare to a different line like this? Any thoughts on what might be happening with my r^2 would be appreciated. It could just be that what I'm trying to do simply doesn't work and I just keep missing whatever it is that's throwing a wrench into this. For one, SST= SSM+SSE (F16). However, E15 should also be the same taking the sum of (C2-C15)^2+(C3-C15)^2...etc. It's the same as long as I'm not using ideal y = Observed, but once I try y=Observed the two cells are no longer equal. There's an issue with SST in this case, but I'm stumped on the reason. Thanks.

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohitsomani

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back