Using Spreadsheet to "feed" info to Microsoft Access

TheJax

Hello,

Excel and Access 2007 scneario

We have a system which records employee absences. Some/most of our staff are sub contractors. So we need to send those companies monthly reports of their attendance. The system we enter the attendance info into allows us to export to Excel. But ACCESS (as you all know) is much more powerful for reporting.

Here is my question:

The secretary doing this report right now is doing her best, but really needs a streamlined solution (in other words, the easier the better). I tried importing the Excel spreadsheet, creating a query and then the report (which works great). Where I run into a problem is with the next months spreadsheet. I rename the old spreadsheet, import the new and name it the same as the first spreadsheet I created (thinking this would not break any connections between queries and reports). Unfortunately, after I import the new spreadsheet and run the report, I am still getting the old data.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
:)

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Just a thought. Instead of changing spreadsheets and renaming, what about just continuing in the existing spreadsheet making sure that there is a date field included. Filter your query for the month required and run your reports accordingly.

Upvote 0
Just a thought. Instead of changing spreadsheets and renaming, what about just continuing in the existing spreadsheet making sure that there is a date field included. Filter your query for the month required and run your reports accordingly.

Thanks for the reply...And that does make sense. Here's my only issue with that:

For some strange reason, when sorting by date, it dates are sorted like this:

11/10/2014
11/11/2014
11/12/2014
11/3/2014
11/4/2014

I've tried going into the spreadsheet before importing and formatting the column as a DATE. But when I do that, after it's brought in to Access, access displays it as serial numbers Any ideas on how to correct that?

Upvote 0
For some strange reason, when sorting by date, it dates are sorted like this:

11/10/2014
11/11/2014
11/12/2014
11/3/2014
11/4/2014
That indicates that dates are stored as Text. You do not want that. None of the date functionality will work properly on that (and neither will Sorts).

I've tried going into the spreadsheet before importing and formatting the column as a DATE. But when I do that, after it's brought in to Access, access displays it as serial numbers Any ideas on how to correct that?
That is because both Excel and Access actually store dates as serial numbers, specifically the number of days since 1/1/1900.
You just be able to apply a date format to the field in Access to get it to display in the date format that you are used to.

Upvote 0
That indicates that dates are stored as Text. You do not want that. None of the date functionality will work properly on that (and neither will Sorts).

That is because both Excel and Access actually store dates as serial numbers, specifically the number of days since 1/1/1900.
You just be able to apply a date format to the field in Access to get it to display in the date format that you are used to.

I'm in business!! Thank you for your input!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back