Using sum + unique functions in dynamic arrays

mach82

Office Version
  1. 365
Hi
I've been playing with dynamic arrays in Excel 365, but there's one thing that I can't figure out.
I have some data in the A:D columns, out of which I want to receive unique values in F:H columns. I use "Choose" function to omit the "Sales Date" column, as I don't need in this specific place.
I'd however like to get the aggregated sales value in the H column, so basically the end result should be Gary MIller from finance with sales value 60270 and Richard Elliot from Finance with sales value 30000.
How should I redifine the formula to achieve my goal? I later on need to sort by sales value descending and I have to do that within one dynamic array formula.

F2=SORT(UNIQUE(CHOOSE({1\2\3};A2:A4;B2:B4;D2:D4));3;-1)

I apprecaite your help a lot.
cho.jpg

Quite a longgggg formual....However, I assume Pivot Table with a dynamic data source is the best way for your case.
Book1.xlsx
ABCDEFGH
1DepartmentNameSales DateSales ValueDepartmentNameSales Value
2FinanceGarry miller201960270FinanceGarry miller60270
3FinanceRichard Elliot202010000FinanceRichard Elliot30000
4FinanceRichard Elliot201920000
Sheet5
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F2:H3F2=SORT(IF({1,1,0},UNIQUE(CHOOSE({1,2},A2:A4,B2:B4)),TRANSPOSE(MMULT(TRANSPOSE(ROW(A2:A4)^0),(A2:A4&B2:B4=TRANSPOSE(INDEX(UNIQUE(CHOOSE({1,2},A2:A4,B2:B4)),,1)&INDEX(UNIQUE(CHOOSE({1,2},A2:A4,B2:B4)),,2)))*(D2:D4)))),3,-1)
Dynamic array formulas.
This is an old post, but the solution absolutely saved my bacon. Working on one of the most complex business models I've made, and trying to use dynamic arrays wherever possible. Without this, I very likely would have had to backtrack a week's work, and been back to updating every time a new customer/transaction was added. I greatly appreciate it!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
This is an old post, but the solution absolutely saved my bacon. Working on one of the most complex business models I've made, and trying to use dynamic arrays wherever possible. Without this, I very likely would have had to backtrack a week's work, and been back to updating every time a new customer/transaction was added. I greatly appreciate it!
I'm glad the formula is useful
:biggrin:
now, there is better solution for Microsoft 365:
Book1
ABCDEFGHI
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F2:H3F2=UNIQUE(HSTACK(A2:B4,SUMIFS(D:D,A:A,A2:A4,B:B,B2:B4)))
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0
I'm glad the formula is useful
:biggrin:
now, there is better solution for Microsoft 365:
Book1
ABCDEFGHI
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F2:H3F2=UNIQUE(HSTACK(A2:B4,SUMIFS(D:D,A:A,A2:A4,B:B,B2:B4)))
Dynamic array formulas.
Saved me again! The model I'm building has ~30K transactions made by ~10K customers in ~120 categories/channels. The longer version worked great when I was only exploring results from 1 channel, but when I decided to look at all I immediately got the dreaded "Excel ran out of resources" error. I plugged in the shorter version, and knock on wood, I haven't gotten the error since! Because I'm building in dynamic arrays, I edited it to:
=SORT(SORT(UNIQUE(HSTACK(CHOOSECOLS(DK4#,1,3,2),SUMIFS(DN:DN,DK:DK,CHOOSECOLS(DK4#,1),DM:DM,CHOOSECOLS(DK4#,3),DL:DL,CHOOSECOLS(DK4#,2)))),4,-1),1,1)
The only thing I can't figure out is how to eliminate the full column lookups. Doesn't seem to affect anything in the calculation, so I'm running with it.

thanks again shaowu459. You are a rockstar!

Upvote 0
The only thing I can't figure out is how to eliminate the full column lookups. Doesn't seem to affect anything in the calculation, so I'm running with it.
Your full column lookups are inside of the SumIfs function. SumIf per the MS document "recognize the last-used row" and using whole column referencing in that way should not impact performance.
I have not found a definitive reference that SumIfs is the same but since it is said to be more efficient I imagine that it would have at least inherited that feature.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottdog129

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back