Using SumIF on Dates Stored as Text in Column Headers

neb255

Board Regular
Using Excel 2016
I have a dataset which has dates in row 1. when the range is converted into a Table, row 1 becomes my table headers and excel treats all column headers as Text regardless of the previous data type.

I have the following formula which when the dataset is stored as a range, and row 1 is stored as actual dates works to provide me a sum of all values in row 2 which fall between Jan 1 and Dec 1 2018.
=SUMIFS($AG2:$CZ2,$AG$1:$CZ$1,">="&DATE(2018,1,1),$AG$1:$CZ$1,"<="&DATE(2018,12,1))

However when the dataset is converted to a Table the result is 0 because the dates are now Text instead of the underlying date. i have tried changing the DATE(2018,1,1) to "1/1/2018" and datevalue("1/1/2018") however neither of these work.

I know that if i use Value(AG2) i will get back the underlying date in excel format, however i cannot figure out how to apply the Value to the full range, neither Value(AG2:CZ2) nor Value(AG2):Value(CZ2) seem to work.

i have seen a solution using sumproduct, however i would very much like to find a solution which is not executed as an array since this formula is in hundreds of thousands of cells across multiple columns (column each for 2014-2020).

The data needs to stay as a table (unfortunately) so that i can work with it in Power Query.

any insight or help is very much appreciated.

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Could you put a hidden row above or below your table with Value(DataTableDate) then use your formula to calc from the column? (Haven't tested it, just thinking out loud)

Upvote 0
Hi Aladin, This worked perfectly. Thanks allot! Can you please explain what the "--" does here, and why we are adding 0 to the reference range?

Upvote 0
Could you put a hidden row above or below your table with Value(DataTableDate) then use your formula to calc from the column? (Haven't tested it, just thinking out loud)

Hi C, This would work, i preferred not to add hidden rows though. Thanks for your suggestion

Upvote 0
Hi Aladin, This worked perfectly. Thanks allot!

You are welcome.

Can you please explain what the "--" does here, and why we are adding 0 to the reference range?

SUMPRODUCT requires numbers. The -- and +0 are applied to coerce TRUE/FALSE values or text numbers into numbers.

In

--($AG$1:$CZ$1+0>=DATE(2018,1,1))

a 0 added to $AG$1:$CZ$1 makes the text dates in this range true dates i.e. numbers, while -- converts TRUE and FALSE values,
which come about by the >= test, to
1 and 0 values. Note that TRUE = 1 and FALSE = 0 in Excel.

Upvote 0
SUMPRODUCT requires numbers. The -- and +0 are applied to coerce TRUE/FALSE values or text numbers into numbers.

In

--($AG$1:$CZ$1+0>=DATE(2018,1,1))

a 0 added to $AG$1:$CZ$1 makes the text dates in this range true dates i.e. numbers, while -- converts TRUE and FALSE values,
which come about by the >= test, to
1 and 0 values. Note that TRUE = 1 and FALSE = 0 in Excel.

Makes sense, thanks again

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amjad24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back