Using Sumproduct instead of Sumif / Countif

visitor83

Hi everyone,
Sorry but I can't get my head around this - I have created a workbook with a number of sumif & countif functions. However, I didn't realize that they don't work if the sheet that they are refering to are closed! I can't keep all the files open as there is way too much info.

I have a large range of numbers but I need to have it that if one cell in column b contains a value more than 60000, then it will take the value in column d and add it.

This is my SUMIF at the moment:
=SUMIF('[Revenue.xls]Sheet1'!$D:$D,"<60000",'[Revenue.xls]Sheet1'!$L:$L)

I know the SUMPRODUCT can not be an array, but that's ok, I can give it a reference.

I realise it's probably very simple, but I'm new to this, and it was working perfectly fine as a SUMIF, and I don't know how to convert it to the SUMPRODUCT although I've read a tonne of posts that say it works.

Thanks for anyone's help!

(also, is there something I can do for the countif?)

It sounds like you've just got way too much calculation going on in that book.

Especially considering your posted sumif formula used Entire Column Refs like D:D..
That's just begging for performance problems...

Can you create a new book, and copy just the relevant data from the old one into the new one, then try it.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Actually this datasheet has been copied and pasted...and most of the information is needed for a variety of sheets now...

Although... =) ...through the copy and paste, there were hyperlinks which are not required...I've taken those and all the corporate logo graphics etc out...

The #REF! error has now gone...and the results from the sumif and the sumproduct, matches! =) yey!...

I did try to take out the <"" section though, and it then does pull through the incorrect value from before...so that is going to need to stay! =)

Do you have any tricks for searching for text using the sumproduct?....This is the equvilant on the sumif:
=SUMIF('[Revenue.xls]Sheet1'!$D1:$D10000,"pwifi*",'[Revenue.xls]Sheet1'!$K1:$K10000)

But because of the text...it won't work?

Upvote 0
I gotta run, I have a meeting to get to, but will check back later =)

You have been so great and I hope you can continue to help!

Vic

Upvote 0
Try

=SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT('[Revenue.xls]Sheet1'!$D$1:$D$10000,5)="pwifi"),'[Revenue.xls]Sheet1'!$K$1:$K$10000)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back