Using Sumproduct on blank cells

mjohnston0209

Board Regular
I am trying to pull information from one file to another that will be used in a report. In the data source file, there is a cost category (i.e. materials, subcontractor) which is further broken down into a specific vendor and how much each spent on a monthly basis. In the file used for the report, I just need to know how much was spent on materials and subcontractors on a monthly basis. The desired format is in the attached image.

The Sumproduct would normally work, however, for every blank cell in the data source file there is a formula that enters "" to make the cell appear blank. This is creating an error when you reference all the cells. I could reference the specific cells with values, but I am constantly adding vendors, which would require me to modify the formula. Is Sumproduct the correct formula to use here, or should I use Index Match which I have had no luck with as well.

Attachments

• Sumproduct Format.PNG
    Sumproduct Format.PNG
    15.6 KB · Views: 60

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
I should also mention that I do not want to use sumif because if the data source file is closed, the sumif formulas return errors.

Upvote 0
What is the formula you are using for that example?

Upvote 0
I don't believe my formula will work because I am using both a column and row for the conditions. Based upon past experience, the criteria has to be in the same direction and height (i.e. B10:B20 & C10:C20)

Upvote 0
You can use both rows & columns as criteria in sumproduct.

Upvote 0
Would you know of another formula? I originally thought of using index match array to narrow down the rows and specific column, but every example I find uses multiple criteria to narrow down the answer to a specific cell. I can't find an example of summing various rows with index match on just one criteria.

Upvote 0
Why not use sumproduct?

Upvote 0
Can you just post the formula you said isn't working?

Upvote 0
Can you just post the formula you said isn't working?
Here is the formula in B14.

Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT($C$2:$E$10*($C$1:$E$1=$A14)*($A$2:$A$10=B$13))

The formula works if there were nothing in the blank cells in the top table of the previously posted image. However, there is another formula in there that returns a blank value.

Excel Formula:
=IF($L7="","",1)

In the actual file, the one is replaced with coding that pulls information from another sheet. I just entered 1 to simplify the formula.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back