Using text in a text string to reference data in another cell

HansM

Job #sInvoice #'s
ab
1#1581, #1580 , #1579 , #1578 , #1577<style><!--table {mso-displayed-decimal-separator:"\."; mso-displayed-thousand-separator:"\,";}@page {margin:.75in .7in .75in .7in; mso-header-margin:.3in; mso-footer-margin:.3in;}td {padding-top:1px; padding-right:1px; padding-left:1px; mso-ignore:padding; color:black; font-size:12.0pt; font-weight:400; font-style:normal; text-decoration:none; font-family:Calibri, sans-serif; mso-font-charset:0; mso-number-format:General; text-align:general; vertical-align:bottom; border:none; mso-background-source:auto; mso-pattern:auto; mso-protection:locked visible; white-space:nowrap; mso-rotate:0;}--></style><!--EndFragment-->

<colgroup><col width="87" style="width:65pt"> </colgroup><tbody>
<!--StartFragment-->
</tbody>
2#1346, #1366<style><!--table {mso-displayed-decimal-separator:"\."; mso-displayed-thousand-separator:"\,";}@page {margin:.75in .7in .75in .7in; mso-header-margin:.3in; mso-footer-margin:.3in;}td {padding-top:1px; padding-right:1px; padding-left:1px; mso-ignore:padding; color:black; font-size:12.0pt; font-weight:400; font-style:normal; text-decoration:none; font-family:Calibri, sans-serif; mso-font-charset:0; mso-number-format:General; text-align:general; vertical-align:bottom; border:none; mso-background-source:auto; mso-pattern:auto; mso-protection:locked visible; white-space:nowrap; mso-rotate:0;}--></style>

<colgroup><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

My CRM site sends a downloaded file to excel for services performed the issue come because it compiles all the jobs completed into one invoice and places all the job numbers in one cell. They all have the # sign in front of them and they are seperated by commas. I am trying to create a spreadsheet that can search the jobs (A) and refrence the invoice number(B). I have tried Vlookup and Search as well as match and the fact that there are multiple job numbers in the same cell seem to be the issue. Any help would be greatly appericiated.

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Why not split the job #s out into individual cells?

Upvote 0
Why not split the job #s out into individual cells?
The original numbers come from a report that is saved in excel I thought about using text to columns but some cells have 100 jobs# in them so my excel sheet would be huge.

Upvote 0
Which version of Excel do you have?

If it's one with Power Query/Get and transform available it would be easy to transform the column of job #s to a column with one # in each cell.

Upvote 0
=INDIRECT(ADDRESS(MATCH("*"&F1&"*",A:A,0),2))

I had the invoice number in F1, is this what you wanted?

*just check this if the value doesn't exist, i'm getting some mixed results

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here is the original "Source File" Job#'s are in Column (B) and Invoice number are in column (G)

fd764d_b557d642080e4c51b66ffdad1d98ab2f~mv2.png

Upvote 0
Here is a copy of the sheet I'm trying to use to capture the data. The issue is there are thousands of job #'s and I need the function to know the difference between #123 , #123 4, and #123 45.

fd764d_729c28d143de4fdc9a555c6db53bf51e~mv2.png

Upvote 0
This is good but in the code =INDIRECT(ADDRESS(MATCH("*"&F1&"*",A:A,0),2)) it does not address job numbers of variable size 123, 1234, 12345. See the posts with the actual screenshots of the file. Again thank you for any help.

Upvote 0
The easiest thing I can think of is to add a comma after the string in B:B (add a column, use =B2&"," then replace column) and use:

=INDIRECT("'Invoices Report'!"&ADDRESS(MATCH("*"&A1&","&"*",'Invoices Report'!$B:$B,0),7))

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back