using the large function, row and column function together

pscseti

Board Regular
Hi,

I have a column of numbers on which I'm using the large function. I basically need the top ten numbers in the column. Then for each of the top 10 numbers (say sales numbers), I'm trying to get excel to show the sales persons name, but the name is to the left of the row with sales number. So I am trying to figure out a way to have excel give me the row # in which the largest value resides. Then I plan to use the offset function from the row & the column to return the salespersons name. Any suggestions?

Tx,

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Re: using the large function, row and column function togeth

Hi,

I have a column of numbers on which I'm using the large function. I basically need the top ten numbers in the column. Then for each of the top 10 numbers (say sales numbers), I'm trying to get excel to show the sales persons name, but the name is to the left of the row with sales number. So I am trying to figure out a way to have excel give me the row # in which the largest value resides. Then I plan to use the offset function from the row & the column to return the salespersons name. Any suggestions?

Tx,
Top N List.xls
ABCDEFGHI
3Sales ForceSalesTop Performer(s)Top Sale(s)Sum of Sales
4dawn75brian90Sales ForceTotal
5damon85jon90jon90
6dan70damon85brian90
7brian90christine85christine85
8christine85  damon85
9ian80
10jon90
11fred75
12albert80
13david84
Data

E1: 3

Specifies the desired size of Top N list. Change this to 10 for your actual data.

E2:

=COUNTIF(B4:B13,">="&LARGE(B4:B13,E1))

E4:

=IF(N(F4),INDEX(A$4:A$13,SMALL(IF(B$4:B$13=F4,ROW(B$4:B$13)-ROW(B$4)+1),COUNTIF(F$4:F4,F4))),"")

which is confirmed with control+shift+enter (not with just enter) then copied down.

F4:

=IF(ROWS(F$4:F4)<=$E$2,LARGE($B$4:$B$13,ROWS(F$4:F4)),"")

The same results can also be obtained by constructing a pivot table as shown in H3:I8.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back