Using the lookup function with dynamically created named ranges

IAimtoMisbehave

Hello,

I am creating a nutritional data spreadsheet to track a diet I am on.
I'm wondering if there is a way to use the Lookup function to search through named ranges that are created depending on user selections in the first sheet.
To elaborate: I have on sheet 1 my meal for breakfast where I select the food I ate in the morning using dependent lists and the spreadsheet will automatically fill out and sum up the nutritional data for that meal. On sheet 2 I have all the basic food groups (Proteins, Dairy, Vegetables, Fruits, Grains) and a number of foods that I regularly eat input in the proper food groups with their nutritional data filled in.

I'm not sure if I should just post my spreadhseet, so I'll paste some examples instead... I would be happy to attach the actual spreadsheet to make things clearer to understand, I just don't know if that is allowed or not. If its okay and someone wants me to attach it then I will!

So an example of Breakfast in sheet 1 would be:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9/1/2014
Monday
Breakfast
Food GroupProteinsDairyFruitsProteins
Food ItemMeal Totals1. Egg1. Mozarella Cheese
1. Sliced Pineapple
3. Bacon
# Servings20.7512
Calories413.515667.570120
Fat21.5104.507
Cholesterol415.2537411.25030
Sodium666.5124112.510420
Potassium126126000
Carbohydrates16.7500.75160
Protein29.55125.250.312

<tbody>
</tbody>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The food group row selections are populated by selecting from a dropdown list, and the Food item dropdown list is then populated based on the foodgroup selection (So if Proteins is selected as the food group you will only get protein options to fill in the Food Items cell). Then the values for calories, fat, etc, are automatically looked up and selected from the proper lists on sheet 2.

Here is an example of Sheet 2:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Proteins
Food Item 1. Egg 2. Tuna 3. Bacon
Calories785060
Fat50.53.5
Cholesterol1873015
Sodium62180210
Potassium63900
Carbohydrates000
Protein6136

<tbody>
</tbody>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The items in the "Food Item" row are in a named range called "Proteins", and the items in the Calories row are in a named range called "ProteinsCalories", the Fat row items in a named range called "ProteinsFat", etc...

So in sheet 1 when I select "Proteins" and "1. Eggs" for the first food item, I need to do a lookup to go grab the value for the calories for eggs listed on sheet 2.
I am wondering if there is a way to do that for all the different food groups using a dynamic lookup instead of using a bunch of nested IF statements for all the different food groups, which is what I currently have...

Is there any way to put in something like this:
=LOOKUP(C70,C69,C69&A72)
(Note that C70 is the "1. Eggs" Selection from a dropdown, C69 is the "Proteins" selection from a dropdown, and A72 is the cell labeled "Calories")

To make it easier to read for you, that essentially translates into: =LOOKUP(1. Eggs, Proteins, ProteinsCalories)

The only problem is that I don't know how to get excel to recognize that the lookup vector and results vector in the formula should be seen as named ranges on sheet 2 as opposed to simple cell references like I have selected.

Right now I have this formula (which works but is very convoluted)(Note that C71 is the "# servings" cell):
=C71*IF(C69="Proteins",LOOKUP(C70,Proteins,ProteinsCalories),IF(C69="Dairy",LOOKUP(C70,Dairy,DairyCalories),IF(C69="Vegetables",LOOKUP(C70,Vegetables,VegetablesCalories),IF(C69="Fruits",LOOKUP(C70,Fruits,FruitsCalories),LOOKUP(C70,Grains,GrainsCalories)))))

Essentially what this boils down to is does anyone know how to conglomerate two cells into a string that can then be recognized as a named range to be used in a lookup function?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Hi and welcome to the forum.

The following example (using your sample data) for the calories of egg (at Sheet 1, C7) should give you an idea. I don't have a html maker installed at work so I can't show how this can be extended.

C7: =F6*HLOOKUP(INDEX($A$1:$Z$10000,MAX(($A$4:$A7="Food Item")*ROW($A$4:$A7)),COLUMN()),Sheet2!$A$2:$R$9,2)

This is an Array formula and must be confirmed with CTRL+ALT+Enter.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back