using Tild char in find

yankee428

So when Excel couldn't find an add-in, it changed the funtion name to 'c:\program~\somedirectoery~\somedirectory'!funcitonname and this is causing me a headache. normally I would just load the addin and then find 'c:\program~\somedirectoery~\somedirectory'! and replace with nothing (if the directory path didn't just go away on it's own). I guess this doesn't work when the ~ tild character is involved. Additionally if you search only for ~ and click find all, Excel goes to IV65536??? What's going on there???

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
The tilde is usually used by Windows to shorten a fullname or address; it's more or less just a truncation method for viewing purposes. The address should not actually contain the tilde character.

Can you explain the real problem here? What is it that is going wrong?

Upvote 0
yankee428 said:
So when Excel couldn't find an add-in, it changed the funtion name to 'c:\program~\somedirectoery~\somedirectory'!funcitonname and this is causing me a headache. normally I would just load the addin and then find 'c:\program~\somedirectoery~\somedirectory'! and replace with nothing (if the directory path didn't just go away on it's own). I guess this doesn't work when the ~ tild character is involved. Additionally if you search only for ~ and click find all, Excel goes to IV65536??? What's going on there???

Hi,

The tilde character is an escape character. You use a tilde when you want to find one of the special characters (specifically ~, * and ?) using Excel's find functionality. For example, if you want to find the text *John then you would enter the text ~*John into the find dialog. If you want to search for a tilde then use two tildes e.g. to find the text c:\program~\my folder use the text c:\program~~\my folder in the find dialog. Similarly, if you want to search for text containing 2 tildes such as Da~~niel then use 4 tildes in the find box i.e. Da~~~~niel.

HTH
Dan

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oculus

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back