Using two data validation lists to select element in array

deucekhk

I am trying to use two seperate dropdown lists to select a specific value in a table of set values. The first drop down will select the row and the second will select one of two columns. I have the data validation lists ready to go but it looks like the main hangup I'm getting is having the VLOOKUP use the selected value from the dropdowns in the formula. Any help would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Sounds as if you should be using the index function instead of vlookup.

Upvote 0
Sounds as if you should be using the index function instead of vlookup.

Here is what I tried for index but am still getting stuck:

=INDEX(Formulas!A8:C22[this is the whole table],ROW(HVL!B12)[this is my first dropdown box],COLUMN(HVL!H12)[this is the second dropdown box])

I'm getting a reference error. I believe the ROW/COLUMN(Dropdown cell) isn't returning a number to reference which row/column.

Upvote 0
Finally got it! Here is what I did in case anyone has similar problems. I made two separate tables next to the main one. First table was all the choices for my first drop down box with one column assigning number to each selection and I put a cell with a vlookup formula with the following conditions(drop box1, new table,column of numbers,false) Second table was the second drop box done the same way with a cell holding another vlookup for assigning number to the drop box selection. then in the main page i used an index formula using the two vlookup cells as row and column number. easy peasy

Upvote 0
Sounds like you have a working solution, but you should be able to do this with a single, direct formula without additional tables.

I'm not sure which sheet your final result is on ("main page"?) but see if you can make something from this.

Excel Workbook
ABCD
8H1H2H3
9L1ao
10L2bp
11L3cq
12L4dr
13L5es
14L6ft
15L7gu
16L8hv
17L9iw
18L10jx
19L11ky
20L12lz
21L13maa
22L14nab
Formulas

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHI
11RowColResult
12L9H3w
HVL

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristineC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back