Using variables in VBA

madchemist

Board Regular
I am wondering if someone could help me with this.

I am trying to bring up an input box to ask the user which row they want to do something in.

Here is what I have so far....

Option Explicit

Public CompletionDate As String, Resources As String, Notes As String
'Sub foo()
' Dim s As Shape
' Dim CompletionDate As String, Resources As String, Notes As String
'
' CompletionDate = InputBox("Which row would you like to close")
' 'Range("D19") = CompletionDate
' Resources = InputBox("What date was it closed?")
' 'Range("F19") = Resources
' Notes = InputBox("Who closed it?")
' 'Range("G19") = Notes
'End Sub

Public Sub CloseItem()
Application.Run "InputMe"
Range("P5").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = Resources
Range("Q5").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = Notes
End Sub

Sub InputMe()
CompletionDate = _
InputBox("Which row would you like to close?")
Resources = _
InputBox("What date was it closed?")
Notes = _
InputBox("Who closed it?")
End Sub

How can I change the 5 in "P5" and "Q5" to be whatever row was input? Or is there a way I can make it so that when a user clicks on a cell in a row it runs this macro on that row? I know you can do it with control checkboxes but dont want to go through all the trouble because there are tons and tons of rows to deal with and I do not want to set it all up. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
instead of specifying the range using explicit Cells (ex "A1") use cell numbers like so:
<hr>
<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> GetInfo()
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> strCompletionRow <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> strResources <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> strNotes <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Do</SPAN>
        strCompletionRow = InputBox("Which row would you like to close?", "Enter Row", ActiveCell.Row)
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> LenB(strCompletionRow) = 0 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN>
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Not</SPAN> IsNumeric(strCompletionRow) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> MsgBox "You must enter a numeric value.", vbExclamation, "Invalid Entry"
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Loop</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Until</SPAN> IsNumeric(strCompletionRow)
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Do</SPAN>
        strResources = InputBox("What date was it closed?", "Enter Date:", Date)
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> LenB(strResources) = 0 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN>
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Not</SPAN> IsDate(strResources) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> MsgBox "You must enter a valid date.", vbExclamation, "Invalid Entry"
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Loop</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Until</SPAN> IsDate(strResources)
    strNotes = InputBox("Who closed it?")
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> LenB(strNotes) = 0 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN>
    ActiveSheet.Cells(strCompletionRow, 16).Value = strResources
    ActiveSheet.Cells(strCompletionRow, 17).Value = strNotes
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Upvote 0
If CompletionDate holds the row you want closed, you just need to make these simple changes:

Range("P" & CompletionDate).Select

Range("Q" & CompletionDate).Select

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DumbFinanceBro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back