Using VBA to Make Sheet Name equal to Cell Data

GhostViper

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Good morning Everyone,

I am trying to make my tab/sheet names equal to the cell values. I am using the formula provided by this page:

This formula was created to pull values from a single cell. I need to pull values from two different cells and combine them into the sheet name. For example, cell A1 is "01-02-2020" and cell A2 is "Thursday". I would like the tab/sheet name to be "01-02-2020 Thursday". I have found other formulas that were able to do it, but they do not automatically update like the one above. I am not all that familiar with coding so changing coding is outside of my skill range.

I mentioned above that the formula automatically updates, but does not update if cell A1 has a formula in it that links to another excel tab. For example, cell A1 on tab 1 is "01-02-2020", and cell A1 on tab 2 is "='tab 1'!A1". Tab 1 then updates, but the rest of the tabs do not. I can go to each tab and click somewhere on the tab to make it update, but this really slows down the process. I found a thread saying to change to first line of code to "Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()". Would this work? And would the worksheet notice a large delay or calculating time? The workbook has a tab for each day of operation, and each sheet needs to be named after the date and day of the week. Updating 365 tab names is quite tedious, so an automated way to do this would be great. But, new data is input into the document throughout the day, so a long calculating time or delay for inputting data would cause problems. The workbook already contains formulas which cause a noticeable delay (2-4 second delay between each data entry).

If there is a version of the code above that could be put into "ThisWorkbook" module with the calculate code mentioned above, that would also work. I could update the file once every 12 months and then simply remove the code to prevent any delay and calculating time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
GhostViper

The only reason I ask is that the file is created from the start of the work week of the new year (Monday) and has to end at the end of the work week (Sunday). So, for example, the first full work week of 2020 starts on 01/06/2020, which is what the first date of the file needs to be (01/01/2020-01/05/2020 is included in the 2019 file) and it will end on 01/03/2021. Each year it will be different, so the script will need to be "adjusted" yearly to account for the first work week. I could technically delete the tabs that are not needed, but then I have to start changing formulas to account for the missing tabs because each tab relies on the previous tab, except the first tab. This file will be a master file which will be updated yearly, locked and protected, and then copied and transferred into a location where daily operation employees will then access it.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
@GhostViper Question: is de cell (on each sheet) date formatted?
(right click cell > cell properties)

Upvote 0
@GWteB The date is formatted (mm-dd-yyyy), but is then converted to text to prevent excel from trying to put "/" (excel still stores the date as m/d/yy) in the date which would prevent the date from being input as a tab name.

Upvote 0
Sorry I was not clear. If you change the cell format to Standard, does a number appear (like 43832 for todays date)?

Upvote 0
If so, you can use this code. Note the first line, it can be modified ...
VBA Code:
Public Sub ChangeSheetNames()

Const cDate_CellAddress     As String = "S1"

Dim oSht        As Worksheet
    Dim dtDate      As Date
    Dim strDay      As String
    Dim strDate     As String

' clear all names to prevent duplications
    For Each oSht In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
        With oSht
            .Name = .CodeName
        End With
    Next oSht
    ' rename all sheets based on date in specific cell
    For Each oSht In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
        With oSht
            dtDate = .Range(cDate_CellAddress).Value
            strDate = Format(dtDate, "mm-dd-yyyy")
            strDay = WeekdayName(Weekday(dtDate), , vbSunday)
            .Name = strDate & " " & strDay
        End With
    Next oSht
    Set oSht = Nothing
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thank you everyone for the input and the help. I hope everyone has a great day.

Thanks again,
GhostViper

Upvote 0
You're welcome. Thanks for your reply. Hopefully you sorted it out.

Upvote 0
OK. I'm confused. We have several posters joining in to this thread. So I assume you have all this sorted out and you need no more of my help. Take care glad you have things sorted out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back