Using vlookup and isnumber(search together?

RedDodger78

Hi,

I am hoping that there is a way to link a vlookup formula with a isnumber(search formula.

I have a working ISNUMBER(SEARCH formula, but what I would like to do is to add in a VLOOKUP so that I am searching within the right cell for the text string. To furhter complicate what I am trying to do, i am also using an IFERROR so that I can search across multple sheets to return an answer:

=IFERROR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(Table10[[#Headers],[XXX]],Sheet1[@[Work Description]])),IFERROR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(Table10[[#Headers],[XXX]],Sheet2[@[Work Description]])),IFERROR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(Table10[[#Headers],[XXX]],Sheet3[Work Description])),IFERROR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(Table10[[#Headers],[XXX]],Sheet4[@[Work Description]])),IFERROR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(Table10[[#Headers],[XXX]],Sheet5[[#Headers],[Work Description]])),IFERROR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(Table10[[#Headers],[XXX]],Sheet6[[#Headers],[Work Description]])),IFERROR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(Table10[[#Headers],[XXX]],Sheet7[[#Headers],[Work Description]])),IFERROR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(Table10[[#Headers],[XXX]],Sheet8[DESCRIPTION])),""))))))))

As I say, this is working at returning the desired True / False statement, but what I really need to do is incorporate a VLOOKUP so that I am searching within the right cell within all of the above sheets!

Is this possible at all, as i seem to be unable to put any combination that works.

Any help greatly received.

Geoff

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Hi Geoff, and welcome to the Forum

Firstly, that's a doozy of a formula that makes my head ache :cry: trying to decipher it and work out what it's actually doing.

• [*=1]Best practice would suggest that you break this out into smaller components (perhaps with the leg that tests each sheet being located on the respective sheet?) and then consolidate those results into a final outcome.
    [*=1]Could you expand your explanation/logic in non-Excel terms (& ignoring your current formula as the method) as to the layout of your workbook and what you're trying to achieve?
    [*=1]What sort of values/strings are the arguments to the Search function (i.e. Table10[[#Headers], [XXX]], Sheet1[@[Work Description]] )

Also note that the components for each sheet are not consistent:
  • Sheet3[Work Description]) is missing the @ before "Work"
  • Sheets 4,5 & 6 reference the [#Headers] field
Is this correct?

As you indicate, the current formula appears to return True or False but gives no indication as to the sheet on which that result originated.
Is that what you want the VLOOKUP to do (which will return the value from the matching location)?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lorie1693

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back