Using With to import data from other spreadsheet

bren25m

Hey all,

Need some advice/help. Conceptually, it is not too difficult, it's just a matter of straightening out the code a little bit.

I've created a file that will serve as a master workbook; it has a basic format of headings for columns A to BB (1 to 54) such as date, velocity, averages, etc.
I need the macro to run from this master workbook and import certain cells from another workbook (labeled as Yuma in my code) into a specific format. The data must also be imported to the next available row, since there are a lot of data files. I am new to excel macros but have done most of it. My debugger is giving me issues in the third line of my With function where I begin the commands for importing all the data. My code is below. In the With function, I've only listed two data import commands as samples (really, there are about 100 but they're all identical). Please provide me with any insight you can. Thanks.

Sub macro1()

Dim OpenFileName As String
Dim Yuma As Workbook
OpenFileName = Application.GetOpenFileName()
If OpenFileName = "False" Then Exit Sub
Set Yuma = Workbooks.Open(OpenFileName)

Dim Master As Worksheet
Set Master = ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1)

With Master
Dim irow As Long
irow = Range("A" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row + 1

.Range(Cells(irow, "A"), Cells(irow + 21, "A")).Value = Yuma.Sheets(1).Range("A9").Value
.Range(Cells(irow, "AB"), Cells(irow + 21, "AB")).Value = Yuma.Sheets(1).Range("A17, A18, A20:A24, A31:A35, A42:A46, A53:A57").Value

End With

Yuma.Close
MsgBox("Import Successful")

End Sub

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Try

Code:
With Master
Dim irow As Long
    irow = .Range("A" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row + 1

.Range(.Cells(irow, "A"), .Cells(irow + 21, "A")).Value = Yuma.Sheets(1).Range("A9").Value
    .Range(.Cells(irow, "AB"), .Cells(irow + 21, "AB")).Value = Yuma.Sheets(1).Range("A17, A18, A20:A24, A31:A35, A42:A46, A53:A57").Value

End With

Upvote 0
Worked perfectly, thanks Peter.
I did not realize the "." was needed anywhere else besides in front of the command.

Upvote 0
Actually I am still struggling with one key part. It appears that only the first row of data from the Yuma sheet (A17) was imported 22 times, instead of the range of rows A17, A18, A20:A24, A31:A35, A42:A46, A53:A57 being imported once each.

Any reason for why this is? Do I need a for loop or something? Please let me know what you think.

Upvote 0
You can try this - if unsuccessful you will need to loop

Code:
.Range(.Cells(irow, "AB"), .Cells(irow + 21, "AB")).Value = Application.Transpose(Application.Transpose(Yuma.Sheets(1).Range("A17, A18, A20:A24, A31:A35, A42:A46, A53:A57")))

Upvote 0
This change resulted in #VALUE! in that column. Should I had a .Value or make some other minor change? I'm not 100% confident in my looping ability so that would be more of a last resort.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Try

Code:
For Each c In Yuma.Sheets(1).Range("A17, A18, A20:A24, A31:A35, A42:A46, A53:A57")
    .Range(.Cells(irow, "AB")).Value = c.Value
    irow = irow + 1
Next c

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back