Usng Progress bars to track a project

rob737

Board Regular
Good morning forum

I would like some assistance with a project I am planning using progress bars, background as follows:

Currently using excel 2010:

Windows 7:

Programming Standard: Novice.

Project: I would like to use a number of progress bars to track steps in a project. Each step takes a different time to complete, however I would like to be able to click a user control if the task has completed before time.

I appreciate this is not a trivial task, however I would appreciate a starting point. I want to display the current time as the start point and update the time display and progress bars every 30 seconds. So I think it looks something like this

Display Current time: 12:18 ' Display currnt time and update every 30 seconds

Progress Bar TaskA (5minutes) ----> Progress Bar TaskB (3 minutes)

When TaskA completes (or the control is selected) TaskB starts. If TaskA does not complete in 5 minutes the progress bar turns red and TaskB does not start until the user control on Task A is selected.

I can do all the userforms stuff myself I just need a hand with is using the system time to driving and updated a progress bar and as each progress bar completes the next one starts.

Hope you can give me a starting point or request more detail on what I am trying to achieve.

Many thanks
Best regards
Rob

The macro you should be running is called Progress. That fires up the other one which then keeps resubmitting itself.
The dot in front of .Cells should not be removed. If you have the new macro with the ws line at the top, run Progress and not FillCell and have a worksheet called Sheet1 it should work.

Also, I have set the initial time interval to 2 seconds. I know you wanted 30 but I could not be bothered to wait that long during testing. Consequently, single-stepping may be problematic as the bar will be progressing during the pauses between steps. So I would suggest select Progress and hit F5 to start with. Then add the X's in column A to stop it.

When you are happy with the operation you can change the: "Const tInterval As Long = 2 ' seconds" line to 30 seconds and repeat with 30 second intervals. One cell lasts for one time increment.

I added a start button to mine which runs Progress and a Next button which puts an X in the next available cell in column A.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Hi Rick

Great, thanks a bunch I have it working now . I am going to try to sex it up a bit, by using form controls. I will keep you posted.

Once again many thanks for your help with this

Cheers

Upvote 0
Hi,

Good to hear that you have got it working now.

The code is a bit basic and I can see that you might need some enhancements. I was reluctant to do any more to it because it was already getting quite complex.

Currently, the macros go into "hibernation" for the length of the time interval. So you have to wait for the rest of the interval before it will respond to anything (e.g. an X in column A). It should be possible to make that more instant if required.

A note on formats: Column B was intended to be date and time while column C was intended to be elapsed time with a format of "hh:mm:ss" so you can see the slapsed seconds.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tish101

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back