V-Look Up Not working

jlipien

I have data in Sheet 1 Column A-P. Column D is a list with account numbers. In sheet 2 I have a mapping data. Column A is a type of account. Column B is account # and Column C is account description. In Sheet 1 in column Q I have following formula: =VLOOKUP(D2,Sheet2!A:C,1,FALSE)
I am trying to look up the account number from cell D2 in the Sheet 2 list and return value in column A which is the type of the account.
Basically I have a list with account numbers which have type of the account next to it and I am trying to assign account type to account number in my transaction list in Sheet1.
This is a very simple v-look up and I have done this many times when I have the data that I am looking up in another sheet. It always works, but this time it returns #N/A
I don't understand why. I checked for the cell formatting. Sheet 1 Column D is formatted as number and Sheet 2 Column B is formatted ad number, so it matches. I also tried moving my data around, because I know sometimes there's an issue that v-look up cannot look up to the left, but I don't think that should be the issue if I am looking up in another Sheet.
Please help. I am out of ideas.

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
vlookup will only work if your lookup value is in the leftmost column of your table array.

You should use Index & match instead.

=INDEX(Sheet2!A:A,MATCH(D2,Sheet2!B:B,0))

or else the below formula which will be slower

=VLOOKUP(D2,CHOOSE({1,2},Sheet2!B:B,Sheet2!A:A),2,0)

I have assumed that the value to be looked up is in Column B and the return value is in column A of sheet 2

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you so much! The Index & Match does work! You've been a great help. I guess what I still do not understand is which part of the formula is the "lookup value" which needs to be in the leftmost column of my table array. I tried moving data from sheet 1 column D into Column A, because Column A is the leftmost column of table array. Now what I am trying to lookup is in Column A instead of Column D and I use this formula instead =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!A:C,1,FALSE)
You solved my issue but I still don't understand why the V-lookup does not work.

Upvote 0
if the value you are looking up is in Column A of Sheet2 and the return value is in Column B the below should work.

see the highlighted change

=VLOOKUP(D2,Sheet2!A:C,2,FALSE)

Upvote 0
Thank you so much! I finally understand why my formula was not working. I re-arranged Sheet 2 and now it works. I thought this part of formula needed to be to the left:
=VLOOKUP(D2,Sheet2!A:C,3,FALSE) and not this part of formula =VLOOKUP(D2,Sheet2!A:C,3,FALSE). Now I finally get it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mbone Mathonsi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back