V Look Up to the Left Side

shaftdx

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2011
Platform
  1. MacOS
Good Morning all.

I am still learning the intricacies of V Look up and am very excited about the possibilities i can utilize it for. Is there a away I can have it pull info from the left of the column I need? or is it only to the right? I am pulling things that have to be in a certain order in the main spreadsheet so I can format it to update to a CBV Calendar.

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
No you cant with vlookup. You will need xlookup or if you dont have it then index/match combo.

Upvote 0
You can use INDEX and MATCH to lookup left side

Upvote 0
Solution
@shaftdx

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Upvote 0
@shaftdx

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)
Ok done. I left it blank before only because I have a work computer and a home one with 2 different versions of Excel I will just have to specify from now on when I am at home and that version when I have a problem there. Thank you for the help!

Upvote 0
Thanks for updating your profile. (y)
I have a work computer and a home one with 2 different versions of Excel
You can mark multiple versions in your Account details. However, you are right in that you may need to specify which version you are wanting help with each time.

Upvote 0
Good Morning all.

I am still learning the intricacies of V Look up and am very excited about the possibilities i can utilize it for. Is there a away I can have it pull info from the left of the column I need? or is it only to the right? I am pulling things that have to be in a certain order in the main spreadsheet so I can format it to update to a CBV Calendar.
If you have updated to office 365 which I highly suggest you do, then I'd say xlookup would be your best option.

Upvote 0
Here is a vlookup to the left formula.

LeftVLOOKUP.xls
ABCDEF
15ab10
210b
315c
420d
525e
630f
735g
Sheet4
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F1F1=VLOOKUP(E1, CHOOSE({1,2}, $C$1:$C$7, $A$1:$A$7), 2, 0)

=vlookup(Value to Lookup,Choose({1,2},Range To Find Lookup Value, Range to Find Answer), Columns Offset to left, 0)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mesh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back