V Point

kazin5

Has anyone ever heard of a v point with excel? I had a job interview today and the lady told me if I can figure out what it is then I have the job. I've searched and searched and I'm not finding anything. Can anyone help?

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Never heard of such a thing.

Did you get any clues?

What's this mysterious thing supposed to do?

v point

The only thing that I can think of is that its got something to do with the value. No clue if that's right or wrong.

Can you give any information at all? the context that the term was used in? What kind of job were you interviewing form? There may be another term for what you are looking for - so the more info you can give, the better.

I have not heard of that either. My first reaction would be that she meant VLookUp. If you described that to her and she was adament that this is not what she ment then as Tracy and Norie have indicated, you need more context. "Point" could mean a point on a chart, perhaps a vector plot? "Point" could mean screen points, there are several functions in VBA such as PointsToScreenPixelsX or CentimetersToPoint, perhaps she was confusing X or Y points/coordinates on a screen?

It was a v lookup....I don't know why she called it a v point. Thank you all very much for all your help. She didn't even give me the job. Oh well.

"She didn't even give me the job"

If you were running the risk of being managed by someone who was that ignorant about what they wanted, this is probably a good thing :)

Best of luck with the next one...

Gotta agree with Paddy here. If somebody is going to hold that as a criteria for hiring personel, they oughta at least know what the heck they are talking about themselves first. Yeesh.

I'd go one step further and say that if that was the criteria for getting the job then you didn't want it anyway - you would want something a little more challenging....
A

I'm impressed. All y'all's bosses know how to use VLOOKUP()? Mine doesn't. Nor would my VP, our Logistics Director or our Business Integration Director. Our new Finance Manager definitely would be able to use it with no help - she can even write simple macros! (Our old Fin Mgr knew what VLookup() was for, but I had to stop by and help him out about every other month). The other three line managers in our facility would probably know of its existance but might need some help getting it written correctly, especially if formatting between the lookup and lookin ranges were mixed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back