Validating Phone Numbers (including international) without VBA?

TheWaterbug

Office Version
  1. 2021
  2. 2019
  3. 2016
  4. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
I have a form for entering customer information, and I want to validate whether an entry is a valid phone number. I need to accommodate international phone numbers as well as differences in formats. Most of the time we'll be copying/pasting stuff into this field, so I do _not_ want to force users to manually re-type or edit entries unless they're actually wrong, e.g. I want to accept:

+1-310-555-1212
(310) 555-1212
310/515-1212
+44 1234 5678

but I want to reject typos and:

310-555-121a
310-555-1212 x24

(the latter because I've a separate field for the extension, if any.)

The phone numbers will not be processed by any dialer; they just need to look like valid numbers. I don't need to validate the number of digits vs. country code, because that's just way too complicated for a cell formula, and in some countries (like China) it's very highly variable, and depends on the city code.

I've come up with an array formula that just returns the number of characters that are not included within a literal array of valid characters:

{=SUM(ISERROR(MATCH(MID(A4,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A4))),1),{"0","1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9","0"," ","-",".","(",")","/","+"},0))*1)}

<tbody>
</tbody>

If I put that in a dummy cell I can then use that as Conditional Format to highlight the Phone Number cell (A4) if it contains any illegal characters. I can also use another dummy cell to strip the non-numeric characters and test for len() <= 15, which I believe is the limit for valid international phone numbers.

Things I don't like about it:
  • It's an array formula, so I can't use it directly in a Conditional Format or Data Validation (AFAIK)
  • Requires 2 dummy cells if I also want to test for length

I do NOT want a VBA solution, because we email this sheet to customers frequently, and I don't want security warnings popping up. This needs to be a straight Excel formula.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
With a big hint from this thread: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/137950-data-validation-only-allowing-numbers-si.html

This strips out your undesired characters (space, dash, open parenthesis, close parenthesis, slash, period) and gives you the length:
=LEN(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(D4," ",""),"-",""),"(",""),")",""),"/",""),".","")+0)

You could use this for data validation or conditional formatting on the cells:
=ISNUMBER(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(D1," ",""),"-",""),"(",""),")",""),"/",""),".","")+0)

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back