#Value error in formula

albiman

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I have a formula =IF(OR('Accrual Template'!E12="Select Accrual Category",'Accrual Template'!E12=""),"",EOMONTH(DATE('Accrual Template'!$D$4,MONTH(DATEVALUE('Accrual Template'!$D$3&"1")),1),0))
the point is that if in the accrual template the E12 is empty or "Select Accrual Category", it would return "" blank result, if False it would return a date. Odd thing is that in mu excel it works without issue. But one of the users got #VALUE! error. I evaluated the formula and only #N/A error is with the TRUE returning "". In my excel if I just press Enter in the formula bar it shows the correct result. Do not understand what is the problem in the user's excel.
Please help.

1674719694063.png

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Hi,
Would seem you have to check the exact contents of cell E12 ... hopefully data was not deleted with the space bar ... ;)

Upvote 0
Is the other person using different regional settings?

Looking at your formula I believe that you are using international date format "yy/mm/dd" but if that is not correct then users with different date settings to yours (UK and USA for example) would encounter errors.

What is in D3?

Upvote 0
thanks for the quick answers

in D3 and D4 is this:
1674721240889.png

according the evaluation of the formula the error is not coming from the TRUE value "" returning? Btw we used this "" in the past as well.

Where can we check the regional setting?

Upvote 0
Where can we check the regional setting?
Assuming windows, you would check it in Control Panel > Time and Date settings, it is not set in Excel.

If the other person is set up to use a language other than English then that would likely be the problem.

Upvote 0
I checked with the user, they use the old formula now: =IF(OR('Accrual Template'!E10="Select Accrual Category",'Accrual Template'!E10=""),"",INDEX('check rules'!$X$2:$X$13,MATCH('Accrual Template'!$D$3,'check rules'!$V$2:$V$13,0)))

and it is working for them, they use the same Date and Time setting as well

Upvote 0
update, they use Windows and german language.
In the Date time settings in Control panel I do not see any language option btw

Upvote 0
I don't remember exactly where it is, there could be a Regional Settings option on the main control panel window before going into date and time. I'm using an android device at the moment so can't check exact options.

Note that it is probably best not to change it as it will affect everything, not just excel.

Upvote 0
ok I think I found the date and time setup:
this is mine:
1674744339716.png

and this is user's:
1674744683116.png

but when they use the old formula, should not be the same problem with the date format?

Upvote 0
and this is the format of the final return, it is Custom, not Date
1674745044666.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lancelots

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back