VALUE ERRORS WHEN THE FORMULAS ARE CORRECT?!

ellie0127

i am trying to link a destination workbook to several different source workbooks. The formula's that I've entered are correct (I've had other people check them to be sure). The problem occurs when I open my workbook and click update values. The numbers then all change to #value. I can get the values to go away if I click edit, links, open source. Once the source is open the value errors go away and the correct information is entered. Why do I have to open the source workbooks and is there a way around this?? PLEASE HELP.. :oops:

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Welcome to the board.

Certain functions require the referenced workbook to be open. What formula is producting the error?

Upvote 0
All the formulas in the spreadsheet produce an error. Here are a couple examples:

=COUNTIF('R:\PRICING ACTIVITY\[BLUE SKY.xls]SEPT'!A:A,"N")

=SUMIF('R:\PRICING ACTIVITY\[BLUE SKY.xls]SEPT'!A:A,'R:\PRICING ACTIVITY\[BLUE SKY.xls]SEPT'!$A$4,'R:\PRICING ACTIVITY\[BLUE SKY.xls]SEPT'!H:H)

Upvote 0
I've read the article from the link you sent and I don't understand the new formulas? I tried entering my old formula as an array: {=SUMIF('[BLUE SKY.xls]SEPT'!A:A,'[BLUE SKY.xls]SEPT'!$A$4,'[BLUE SKY.xls]SEPT'!H:H)} but that didn't work. So then I tried to rewrite the formula using the example they provided. Doesn't work, or I'm too stupid to understand. Their formula is changing a countif to a sum: =SUM(IF([SOURCE]SHEET1!$A$1:$A$8="a",1,0))
What is with the 1 and 0 at the end of the formula??

Upvote 0
Try:

{=SUM(IF('[BLUE SKY.xls]SEPT'!A:A='[BLUE SKY.xls]SEPT'!$A$4,'[BLUE SKY.xls]SEPT'!H:H))}

Think of {=SUM(IF([SOURCE]SHEET1!$A$1:$A$8="a",1,0))} as calculating whether each cell in [SOURCE]SHEET1!$A$1:$A$8 is equal to "a". If it is, count it as a 1; if it's not, count it as a 0. Then, sum the eight values.

Upvote 0
When entering the formula as you list above: {=SUM(IF('[BLUE SKY.xls]SEPT'!A:A='[BLUE SKY.xls]SEPT'!$A$4,'[BLUE SKY.xls]SEPT'!H:H))} I get a #NUM! error.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back