#Value with true blank cells

JoeK210185

Hello

I've got a formula =SUM(C3+H3+M3+R3+W3+AB3+AG3+AL3+AQ3+AV3)

Pretty simple, but if say, H3, was a blank cell, it is returning a #VALUE!

Now i know it has to be a true blank cell, which it is, but if i put in a random figure, lets jsut say 1, then the formula works out, if i then delete the 1, the formula still says working, even though it is exactly the same as it was before, with the same figures in each cell an the same cells being true blanks?

I'm just looking for anyone who may be able to help me!

Oh, and on my options, calculation is on automatic :)

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.

Andrew Poulsom

MrExcel MVP
There's no point in using SUM with plus signs. You get the same result as without it. Use it like this:

=SUM(C3,H3,M3,R3,W3,AB3,AG3,AL3,AQ3,AV3)

and text entries will be ignored.

Colin Legg

MrExcel MVP, Like totally RAD man
Office Version
365, 2016
Platform
Windows
My guess is that there was a space (ie. text) in H3, so it wasn't truly empty. The SUM() function doesn't actually do anything in your formula, since you are using the + operator to add them all together anyway. If you change your formula to this then it won't error if a cell contains a space:
Code:

JoeK210185

My guess is that there was a space (ie. text) in H3, so it wasn't truly empty. The SUM() function doesn't actually do anything in your formula, since you are using the + operator to add them all together anyway. If you change your formula to this then it won't error if a cell contains a space:
Code:
Yes it was truly empty Colin, as i stated in the opening post.

And Andrew thanks, that worked.

Colin Legg

MrExcel MVP, Like totally RAD man
Office Version
365, 2016
Platform
Windows
Hi Joe,
Yes it was truly empty Colin, as i stated in the opening post.
Sorry to contradict you (and I emphasise that I am not trying to be impolite in doing so, rather just trying to identify the cause of the problem) but, if H3 was truly empty, then AFAIK it is absolutely impossible that H3 would have caused that formula to return a #VALUE! error. If you can prove otherwise with a simple demonstration then I would be interested to see it!

Last edited:

Subscribe on YouTube

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kashifziatevta423

This Week's Hot Topics

• Sort code advice please
    Hi, I have the code below which im trying to edit but getting a little stuck. This was the original code which worked fine,columns A-F would sort...
  • SUMPRODUCT with nested If statement
    Hi everyone, Hope you're all well. I'm hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction with a problem I'm having with a SUMPRODUCT...
  • VBA - simple sort is killing me!
    Hello all! This should be so easy, but not for me, apparently! I have a table of data that can be of varying lengths and widths. My current macro...
  • Compare Two Lists
    I have two Lists and I need to be able to Identify differences between them. List 100 comes from a workbook - the other is downloaded form the...
  • Formula that deducts points for each code I input.
    I am trying to create a formula that will have each student in my class start at 100 points and then for each code that I enter (PP for Poor...
  • Conditional formatting formula required for day of week and a value
    Hi, I have a really simple spreadsheet where column A is the date, column B is the activity total shown as a number and column C states the day of...