variable cell value groupings etc

jaymorcombe

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
Hi ppl. I have a fairly nuanced question I hope that somebody can help me with..
I’m new to Excel but am learning fairly quickly.

I have been tasked at work with creating a job schedule. The jobs must be arranged and listed so as to run the printing press at top efficiency, reducing job setup time, and maximizing output.

There are a number of variables that must be considered in order to do this, and some must be prioritized above others.

I need to find or develop a formula within Excel that can take values listed in cells and group them together when they are similar.
For example, there may be values of 38, 45.5, 43, 39.75, 44, 41, etc. I need the numbers to be grouped when they are within no more than ‘2’ above or below the value entered.
For context, these are the sizes of paper rolls that are used in commercial web printing, and the press runs most efficiently when like size rolls are arranged closely on the schedule, as this prevents excessive ‘setup’ on the roll mounting device.
I hope this makes some sense, and I apologize if I’m giving a poor description.

I also need to apply a formula that will sequester values from adjacent similar values, so they are grouped as seldom as possible.

After these formulas are done, I need to prioritize each individual command in descending order.

I hope this isn’t asking too much, but if anyone knows where to find a formula that can do this, or could maybe just point me in the right direction, I would be so grateful, and of course I will come back and show you guys what I come up with.
I’m having a lot of fun with Excel, but I’m honestly just a rookie and I’m stumped on this one.
Thanks for reading and thanks for any advice or assistance!!!

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Welcome to MrExcel Message Board.
I need the numbers to be grouped when they are within no more than ‘2’ above or below the value entered.
1. What Could be Minimum and Maximum of your Data?
I also need to apply a formula that will sequester values from adjacent similar values, so they are grouped as seldom as possible.
2. I think you need macro and formula don't work for you? Do you familiar with macro in Excel ( VBA)?

3. Please upload one example file & Desired Result with descriptions below of my post ( xl2bb ADDIN Preferable).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back