Variable in VBA from Query Result??

liammoohan

Board Regular
I have a query which returns a distinct week number from a table i.e. 48

Is there a way that I can use this result as a variable in VBA which is used to save the results in a table within the database as a CSV file for use outside the database?

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Does your query just return one single record with that single field?

Can you explain your second line to us in more detail? I find it a bit confusing exactly how you want to use this.
Can you show us where the "48" is to come into play in your VBA code?

Upvote 0
Sounds like 48 is calculated, which may be an example of a case where you shouldn't be storing calculations in a table. If it's not calculated by the query, then it exists as data so why would you want to repeat this in another table? Two possible issues there.
If you're going to append/update variable values to a table, you'll need a recordset or will need to execute the update/append in code.

Upvote 0
Does your query just return one single record with that single field?

Can you explain your second line to us in more detail? I find it a bit confusing exactly how you want to use this.
Can you show us where the "48" is to come into play in your VBA code?
In the attached image this shows the VB module I have running which creates the file' in the data table there is a column which has the week number and for the circled WKXX I want to be able to have the module run and input the week number as opposed to the XX when naming the file.

Is there a way to do this when I create a query as below to get the week number from the data and use the results of the query written as the variable for populating the week number?

SELECT DISTINCT WeekNumber
From DataTable

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    15.6 KB · Views: 33
Upvote 0
You still haven't answered my first question. Without seeing your data, we have no idea what your query is returning.

So, does this query always return exactly one record, or might it return multiple?
Rich (BB code):
From DataTable

Upvote 0
You still haven't answered my first question. Without seeing your data, we have no idea what your query is returning.

So, does this query always return exactly one record, or might it return multiple?
Rich (BB code):
From DataTable
See attached image showing query as written on left and how the result is displayed on the right.

I want to use the query result (shown on right of image) to be the variable in the VBA that will be used to replace the XX as previously highlighted

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    7.2 KB · Views: 35
Upvote 0
OK, this thread here shows multiple ways to get the value from the query into VBA (including using Recordsets and DLOOKUP).
I think you should be able to incorporate one of these methods in your VBA code.
Having already found and tried what is in that thread myself with no luck before posting on here I will continue to look elsewhere to try and find a solution.

Upvote 0
Having already found and tried what is in that thread myself with no luck before posting on here I will continue to look elsewhere to try and find a solution.

If you post the code you tried, we may be able to help you fix it up to get it to do what you want.

Actually, I am thinking that if you use the DLOOKUP method, you may not need the query at all. You can probably do a DLOOKUP directly into your Calendar table, using the current date as your criteria.
Have you tried that?

If you are having troubles getting it to work, can you post a small sampling of data from your Calendar table for us to see?
I want to make sure that it is set up the way I think it is, and there is nothing funny about it that might be causing issues.

Upvote 0
If you post the code you tried, we may be able to help you fix it up to get it to do what you want.

Actually, I am thinking that if you use the DLOOKUP method, you may not need the query at all. You can probably do a DLOOKUP directly into your Calendar table, using the current date as your criteria.
Have you tried that?

If you are having troubles getting it to work, can you post a small sampling of data from your Calendar table for us to see?
I want to make sure that it is set up the way I think it is, and there is nothing funny about it that might be causing issues.
This is what I have found on another thread and it is now working:

Dim WKno As String

Dim RS As DAO.Recordset
Set RS = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("SELECT DISTINCT WeekNumber FROM tblCalendar WHERE CallDate = Date()")
If Not RS.EOF Then
WKno = Nz(RS("WeekNumber"))
End If
RS.Close
Set RS = Nothing

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back