Variable Last cell in a calculation/formula

kcompton

Board Regular
Hello - I calculate the difference between the last cell in a column and the first cell in a column.
The first cell in the column is an absolute value ($A$1), but the last cell in the column changes daily and the last cell changes daily.
For example, today the calculation is A25-$A$1, but tomorrow the calculation is A26-$A$1.
Is there a way to create a formula that will recognize the changing cell (the last cell is always the next row in the column with a value).
Thank you in advance.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Thank you -
If I place the formula in the column next to the column being calculated, it works.
However, if I place the formula in a cell in the column being calculate, I get a circular reference warning.
Is that because $A:$A part of the formula is looking at all the cells in the entire A column and placing the formula in Column A creates a circular reference?
What does the 2^1023 refer to? I thought in excel the caret symbol was an exponent math function - does it refer to the last number/cell available in a column in excel?
Sorry if my understanding is way off.
Does the formula need to be in the column next to the column being calculated?
Thanks again

Upvote 0
- Yes, the suggested formula looks for the last numerical value in the entire column A, so placing the formula in column A would create a circular reference.

- No, you don't have to place the formula in another column. You can limit the range to, say, A1:A40 (i.e., =LOOKUP(2^1023,$A$1:$A$40)-$A$1) and have the formula in cell A41.

- The 2^1023 is just a very big number. You can also find something like 9.99E+307 being used. Please read posts by Aladin Akyurek on the LOOKUP construct and the BigNum.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back