Variable Shape lookup using defined name - works only with anchored cells in match function

khill007

I have an Excel problem I cannot seem to solve. I am trying to do a dynamic shape/color change based on a percentage, the index of shapes and matching percentages are in B10:K10 and B11:K11.

Defined Names
- Status =INDEX(Sheet1!$B$11:$K$11,MATCH(Sheet1!$M$11,Sheet1!$B$10:$K$10,0)) With the anchored column and row locations this will work, changing the 90% # will change the shape color.
- Status2 =INDEX(Sheet1!$B$11:$K$11,MATCH(Sheet1!$M11,Sheet1!$B$10:$K$10,0)) With a relative row definition it will not work, it selects the wrong shape/color.

I thought I could just copy the shape down the list and as the percentages changed the color of the shape would change. I have researched and tried everything I could think of including just putting the formula on the shape rather than the defined name but this gives a range reference or defined name error. I’m sure it is probably something simple, any thoughts?

Sorry I could not figure out how to get the images to load.
Columns
row M N
1190%Blue
Cricle
1250%
1365%
14-10%Red
Circle
15100%Green
Circle

<tbody>
</tbody>

B10-K10 & B11-K11
100%90%80%75%65%50%25%10%0%-10%
Green
Circle
Blue
Circle
etcetcetcGrey
Circle
etcetcetcRed
Circle

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Welcome to Mr Excel

As you are using a relative reference (row) to define Status2 you must select a cell in the proper row to create this named range,

Try this
Select N11
Formulas > Names Manager > New
Name: Status2
Refers to: =INDEX(Sheet1!$B$11:$K$11,MATCH(Sheet1!$M11,Sheet1!$B$10:$K$10,0))

Then you can put in N11
=Status2
and copy down

Hope this helps

M.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I must be missing something, I think what you said is what I am doing. Here are the steps

1. I insert a picture image into cell N11 (I read you had to put a picture image not a shape image)
2. I click on the picture object and in the formula space put =Status2.....This does not render the proper shape/color
3. For option 2 above if I put in =Status in column N11 the proper shape/color is rendered, changing the percentage in column M will change the shape/color i.e. works great
4. If I copy the contents of cell N11 down to N12 the contents will render based on the anchored reference $M$11. Change the value in M11 and both shapes/colors changes as expected.

It does not work if I remove the anchoring of column in the match function.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I misunderstood what you are looking for.
Disregard my post above

M.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiSonic

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back