Variant variable

kamran60

Greetings All,

I have a problem with a vlookup, that is as follows:

I have a list of strings and numbers that the vlookup refers to(call it lookup_value) and picks out the corresponding value in the coloumn next to the coloumn of strings and numbers.

BUT, the problem is this:

If I do a regular vlookup I get a problem of Error 2042 when ever lookup_value is a number. So I decided to dim lookup_value as Variant, but now my lookup_value is fixed at Empty and does not change to what the user wants to find. and returns Error 13: Type Mismatch.

I am really lost and did a whole lot reading and searching. Any clues? THANK YOU

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Hi Kamran60, could you post a quick two or three line example so we can see what you are trying to lookup?

It could be a formatting issue, where the vlookup is not excepting the variable. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hi Kamran60, could you post a quick two or three line example so we can see what you are trying to lookup?

It could be a formatting issue, where the vlookup is not excepting the variable. Thanks.

This is what my Interchange spreadsheet looks like:

S07Visa2.00
S08Visa2.00
S09Visa1.15
S10Visa1.25
S11Visa1.15
S12Visa1.25
20.00MC0.19
21.00MC0.19

<tbody>
</tbody>

My code is as follows:

-------------
Dim x as Variant

'User enters value of x from the first coloumn of Interchange
y=Application.Vlookup(x,Worksheets("Interchange").Range("A2:C36"), 3, False)
'y returns only numbers in the third coloumn of Interchange spreadsheet
------------------

If I dont dim x as Variant, it will only work for input values of x that are text, numeric values will result in Error 2042. When I dim x as Variant it does not work at all, and x is Empty regardless user inputs a value of x from the first coloumn. I want it to work for all values of text and numbers. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I beleive the problem we are going to run into is when we run the Macro, because you are in a way forced to Dim x as a specfic format.

Though, have you considered making a hidden worksheet (xlVeryHidden) so no one can view and imbed a code within the worksheet somewhere to do a simple vlookup?

Placing the vlookup in the sheet itself will fix the problem in a second.

Or will Visa always be a Letter + # format and MC always be a #? This way prompt the user to designate which category they are. But I will continue to look.

Upvote 0
Hey thanks for your response. As far the work sheet is concerned, I wont be able to do it because I am working in a userform with a textbox( which I defined as x) and the user inputs any value of Coloumn A into that textbox. That textbox value will implement certain commands in the userform (ie more calculations) which I may not be able to do using a worksheet. I could be wrong so please correct me. Moreover, just to clarify my problem a bit more, x takes in values such as S07, S08...20.00(first coloumn of Interchange spreadsheet) and Application.Vlookup will output values like 2.00, 1.25, ...0.19(Third coloumn of Interchange Spreadsheet). Therefore I dont understand why you mentioned 'Visa Letter+# format and MC be always #?' ?.The Application.Vlookup does not deal with second coloumn, it only deals with first and third coloumn. As again your help is always appreciated

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back