Varying Rows Converted to Columns

mskusace

Good Morning,

I have a report I pull that has a basic data structure of the table below. I have masked and simplified the data.

IDSub_IDUserRole
1APerson1Supervisor
1APerson2Analyst
1BPerson3Assistant
2CPerson4Supervisor
2CPerson5Analyst
2CPerson6Analyst
2CPerson7Analyst
2CPerson8Intern

<tbody>
</tbody>

I combine the "ID" and "Sub_ID" to create a composite key for the current processing.
Notice that there are multiple entries for ID+Sub_ID because there are multiple roles for that combination of ID+Sub_ID.
What I do for the data processing is to make the ID+Sub_ID a unique column. Then I was planning on turning the roles into different columns. The problem that I run into is that it is not consistent.
For example, 1A (ID+Sub_ID) has 2 roles, 1B has 1 role, 2C has 5 roles, and 3 of them are the same, but they still need to be in separate columns. I need to be able to view each role for each ID+Sub_ID after the data is processed.

Then I thought about feeding this processed data into Qlik Sense, a visualization tool, and make the data more of a database structure with all 4 of those columns as dimension tables and then one fact table using all those foreign keys from the dimension tables. Ultimately, a user could then just click into their combination of ID+Sub_ID and see the varying amounts of "Roles". I am not sure what the best method was and I guess this is more of a data management question and how should I proceed?

I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

Please let me know if you need any more clarification.

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
I apologize for bumping my thread, but I could not figure out how to edit my original post. I am just posting some clarification. The potential output I was thinking would be the following then:

ID + Sub_IDSupervisorAnalystAnalystAnalystAssistantIntern
1APerson1Person2
1BPerson3
2CPerson4Person5Person6Person7Person8

<tbody>
</tbody>

However, my question still stands on the best way to manage and process the data.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back