VB and VBA

nigelandrewfoster

Hi

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question but am I right in saying that Visual Basic enable you to access the entire object model of Excel and Access? In other words, that you can do everything in VB that you can do with VBA and a lot more besides? Are there downsides to this approach? Any thoughts would be appreciated including directed me to the correct part of the forum if I've got it wrong! I'm looking to develop applications that make use of Office functionality and develop add-ins but not sure the best approach going forward.

Thanks again for your time.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
As a short answer - yes, you can manipulate Access from Excel and vice versa. VBA is VB for applications with its own IDE and restrictions (rather full-blown VB). However, when concerns Office application, VBA lets you manipulate one Office product from another. Moreover, VBA is not limited by Office products. There was a time when Autodesk implemented VBA in its own products (AutoCAD, for instance).

Upvote 0
Thanks very much for getting back to me. So I could use VB to manipulate the Office object model instead of using VBA? Is there any advantage in me staying with VBA then?

Upvote 0
Of course, in VB (VB6, I think you mean) you can use Excel and Access (and Outlook, and PowerPoint, and Word). In other words, you can use any objects as soon as they appear in References. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back