VB string to export data to *.bat

ilian

Hey Mr.Excel experts,

I'm in need of some assistance here, In order to locate and copy over 1000+ Pdf files I'm trying to create a simple set of strings to apply a wildcard value to a specific column so that each of the entries contains a numerical value (which I already have) and here's the fun part I don't have the alphabetical values which should all be 1 or 2 names. Some of the files may have a Hyphen in between both values.

My goal is to export this list to create a *.bat file so I can run this as needed with little effort.

Anyone have an idea how I can do this?
Here's the excel table I'm using

OutputCurrent Path folderFile nameDestination folder
Copy=CONCATENATE($I$2;$E$2;F2;$I$2)T:\Users\Main\Test1test.pdfT:\Users\Main\Test2
Copy
Copy
Copy
Copy

<tbody>
</tbody>

as for the VB I tried to use the Amendrightafter function to make sure that the ".pdf" is included but this syntax won't take a wildcard value before the .pdf

Thanks in advance for the replies

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Re: VB sting to export data to *.bat ( I'm so lost!)

Hi

I'm not understanding 100% what you are trying to achieve.

Are you trying to move (or copy?) a number of files from one location to another?
Is it all files in this location?
Is there more than one source location?
Is there more than one destination location?
Is there some sort of criteria for deciding which files to move/copy? (e.g. only pdf files)

The reason I ask is that Excel has a number of in-built functions in VBA for file handling, per this link:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hww8txat(v=vs.84).aspx/
you can access file properties using VBA and also copy/move files directly from within VBA using the File System Object (FSO).

Once we understand the issue correctly, then I'm sure what you ultimately want to achieve can be done (except for winning the lottery).

Andrew

Upvote 0

I prefer the command line for file operations. I'm old and set in my ways – I still call those collections directories, not folders. I'll venture outside the usual forum confines of a VBA approach.

*.bat? My experience would have led me to do this with a linux shell or a perl or python script.

My second thought was, "Bulk copy? Use cmd.com's robocopy command." That command is useful for bulk copying and backup but, I found, it does not allow renaming.

Perhaps a Windows Powershell scriptlet? I would probably have a steep learning curve if I went with this method. Here's some promising leads I found with Google, searching for "powershell bulk copy and rename files".

Asks about using csv with list of old and new filenames.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions...e-powershell-command-to-copy-and-rename-files

General copy, move, and rename with Powershell:
https://www.petri.com/copy-move-rename-files-using-windows-powershell

This might prove helpful (but the website is terrible). A cmd.com approach:
https://www.experts-exchange.com/qu...ename-using-lookup-file-using-Powershell.html

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Hey Andrew
Sorry should have been more specific, to answer your questions

Are you trying to move (or copy?) a number of files from one location to another? Copy From a shared drive into a new folder
Is it all files in this location? No , mixed pdf word some excel
Is there more than one source location? 1 root folder but 3-4 sub-folders for sources
Is there more than one destination location? all under 1 root folder
Is there some sort of criteria for deciding which files to move/copy? (e.g. only pdf files) Yes I have a list that contains part of the pdf file name

Thank you ,

Upvote 0

Sorry for the late reply. Are you still working on this?

If so, where is the list contained? I presume this is an existing workbook on a specific worksheet?

Lastly, are you able to supply an example of the "list that contains part of the pdf file name"?

Andrew

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back