VBA Add-In Distribution Question

mls12345

I have created an new menu add-in (.xla) and loaded it on a few of my co-workers' computers for feedback. After this, I modified the .xla document and was able to view the new menu on my own computer (using a keystroke code which calls up a macro in the .xla file that deletes the old menu and recreates it). It worked on my computer, however, it did not work on my co-workers' computers. We all have access to the same file for the add-in. How can I get them to be able to view the changes?

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
When Excel prompted about copying the addin to the user's machine did you say yes? If so you'd need to overwrite the addin (xla file) on each co-worker's computer. Typically the path is:

C:\documents and settings\username\application data\microsoft\addins\

Note that application data is a hidden directory. But if you browse to re-install the add-in it should offer to overwrite.

Upvote 0
The .xla file is saved in a shared drive so there is no need to save it onto the individual users computer.

Upvote 0
Nope, it ain't necessary. It's just the most likely cause that I could think of for the problem you describe. I wasn't clear on your response as far as whether or not you went ahead and checked the users' machines to make sure they didn't inadvertantly create copies on their hard drive when installing the add-in...

Upvote 0
I checked and it actually saved the add-in to the computer's hard drive as opposed to viewing it in the shared drive. Is there a way to load the addin and make sure it refers to the shared drive instead?

Upvote 0
Educate the users to click "no" during the install process when prompted to copy to the user's local addins folder. Furthermore you could also add some code in the workbook_open event handler to look at the first character in Thisworkbook.Path and see if it is not C or D. Or if your users' drive mappings are 100% identical, that it is whatever drive letter you expect. Then take whatever action you believe is appropriate. I've never tried to have a workbook commit suicide, but it's an interesting thought...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back