VBA - Allow User to Select Which Worksheet to Copy

strax

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have an excel doc with multiple worksheets, which will have different names every time it's used. I want to create a macro that will have a pop-up of all tabs (was trying to use the CommandBars("worksbook tabs")), the user can then select which tabs they would like to copy. I see that I can easily copy a worksheet if the name is known/pre-defined, but how do you have the name be selected from a pop-up/list/user input as the name will vary?

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
I actually recently did this via the commandBars. It allows the user to select a sheet from a list. Maybe it will assist you.

Let us know:

VBA Code:
Sub ChooseSheetNumberToUse()                                                                        ' select a sheet to copy
'
    Dim UserSelectedSheet       As String
'
    Worksheets(1).Activate                                                                          ' Had to add this to allow the sheet selected to work
'
    MsgBox "In the next popup window, Click the sheet name " & vbCrLf & "that you would like to copy." ' Advise user what to do next
'
    If Application.CommandBars("workbook tabs").Controls(16).Caption Like "More Sheets*" Then       ' This CommandBars only shows up to 16 sheets, after that it
'                                                                                                       will display the first 15 sheets and the 16th item will be
'                                                                                                       an option of "More Sheets..." which will give full list
        Application.CommandBars("workbook tabs").Controls(16).Execute                               ' If more than 16 sheets are found, click the "More Sheets ..."
    Else                                                                                            ' Otherwise ...
        Application.CommandBars("Workbook Tabs").ShowPopup 800, 300                                 '   Display the sheets found
    End If
'
    UserSelectedSheet = ActiveSheet.Name                                                            ' Save the sheet name that the user selected
    Debug.Print UserSelectedSheet                                                                   ' Test print, for verification, name of user selected sheet
'
'   The variable 'UserSelectedSheet' now contains the sheet name selected by the user
'
'
'   Add desired additional coding here ...
'
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
I actually recently did this via the commandBars. It allows the user to select a sheet from a list. Maybe it will assist you.

Let us know:

VBA Code:
Sub ChooseSheetNumberToUse()                                                                        ' select a sheet to copy
'
'
    Worksheets(1).Activate                                                                          ' Had to add this to allow the sheet selected to work
'
    MsgBox "In the next popup window, Click the sheet name " & vbCrLf & "that you would like to copy." ' Advise user what to do next
'
    If Application.CommandBars("workbook tabs").Controls(16).Caption Like "More Sheets*" Then       ' This CommandBars only shows up to 16 sheets, after that it
'                                                                                                       will display the first 15 sheets and the 16th item will be
'                                                                                                       an option of "More Sheets..." which will give full list
        Application.CommandBars("workbook tabs").Controls(16).Execute                               ' If more than 16 sheets are found, click the "More Sheets ..."
    Else                                                                                            ' Otherwise ...
        Application.CommandBars("Workbook Tabs").ShowPopup 800, 300                                 '   Display the sheets found
    End If
'
    UserSelectedSheet = ActiveSheet.Name                                                            ' Save the sheet name that the user selected
    Debug.Print UserSelectedSheet                                                                   ' Test print, for verification, name of user selected sheet
'
'   The variable 'UserSelectedSheet' now contains the sheet name selected by the user
'
'
'
End Sub
Thank you for the code. I don't see how this copies the selected worksheet, I only see that it makes that sheet active once selected. Would the next line be something like Sheets("UserSelectedSheet").Copy?

Upvote 0
Thank you for the code. I don't see how this copies the selected worksheet, I only see that it makes that sheet active once selected. Would the next line be something like Sheets("UserSelectedSheet").Copy?
Nevermind, I figured it out. Had to other lines that needed to be removed from the old code. Thank you!

Upvote 0
Correct. The code I posted for you was just for selecting the sheet, like the title of this thread asked for.

Glad you were able to put it to use.

Upvote 0

Let us know:

VBA Code:
'
'
'
'
    End If
'
'
'
'
'
End Sub
Hi JohnnyL,
I like this 👌 Almost what I need...including the last comment, Sheets(UserSelectedSheet).copy.
Is it possible to choose multiple sheets and not only one from Application.CommandBars("Workbook Tabs").ShowPopup 800, 300? And then save them all to a new workbook? The new workbook should stay active. So it easy to save it immediately to a path.
....well it could be cool to write that path in the code also....along with filename based on a fixed string and value in two cells B1 and E1

Upvote 0

Let us know:

VBA Code:
'
'
'
'
    End If
'
'
'
'
'
End Sub
I made a new post with this question, so you could get some acknowledgement for the new answer ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back