VBA and Sharepoint

Gringoire

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi guys,
for the first time I have to use Excel VBA to merge some excel files stored on SharePoint.
When I try to get the file path from SharePoint document folder I obtain something like:
This link seems not works on VBA. I'm not even sure that the link is the same for different users.
Is there a simple way to obtain a more "human readable" link to the file? Soething like https://xxxxxxxxx.sharepoint.com/:w:/s/sales-OfferTemplate/myFile.xls ?

thanks.

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
could you record a macro that saves a test file to the filepath you want to use. Then review the recorded macro for the filepath?
I think this is how i did did it 6 months ago when I needed to do a similar thing.

Upvote 0
Just like you I also tried copying the file link from the SharePoint site and passing it as the path parameter to the Workbooks.Open() method. I finally came across a post that provided a breakthrough solution after all the failed attempts at changing the SP file url (removing https, switching forward slashes to backward slashes, etc.). The url I was passing to Workbooks.Open() method was obtained by clicking "Copy link" for the designated file on the SP site. The miracle post that I discovered detailed that a subtle process change needed to be made to obtain the url that would successfully locate and open the file.

The process is as follows:
- On the SP site, click the "Show actions" icon (kebab menu) next to the designated file and select Open -> Open in app
- Once the file opens, navigate to the 'File' tab on the Ribbon and select 'Info' tab on the sidebar
- You should see the file name at the top of the pane and the file breadcrumb trail underneath with the option to copy the path

1607627393855.png

- Paste the copied path as is to the Workbooks.Open() method and it should open successfully

When I compared the path copied from the file breadcrumb trail on the Info tab to the path that was copied from the SP site, the subtle difference I noticed was that my personal credentials were present in the breadcrumb trail path and there were actually some different folder references.

Info tab path: https://[companyname]-my.sharepoint.com/personal/[myname]-[companyname]-com/[folders leading to file]?web=1
vs
SP site path: https://[companyname]portal.sharepoint.com/❌/r/sites/[folders leading to file]?d=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&csf=1&web=1&e=xxxxx

Hopefully this helps. I am no expert but I believe the reason that there are so many posts with different solutions that work for others is just due to the permission settings that are configured for different companies/users. Looking at the paths, when I actually physically access the file it is being pulled from a different path than what is present on the main SP site (looks like it stores the files that I have access to in my personal directory). I just had my first encounter with SharePoint this week and had only created macros that navigated files located on a network drive so I was banging my head for awhile.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back